Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #1 
ladikara

Not sure what happened...

So today I did a 100% change of Bubbles tank. He was swimming around just fine before the change. He looked happy as can be.

When I did the water change, I had the water sit out over night. I added a conditioner to it before I put it in the tank. I made sure the temp of the water matched exactly before putting Bubbles in. I made sure to slowly mix the older water he was in with the new water before fully putting Bubbles in the tank.

Ever since he has been at the bottom of the tank just sitting there. I just looked closely and he has these little tiny white dots on both eyes. He just isn't moving at all.

The current tank is a 1g. The water temp is at 76. I just did a ph test and it's at 7.6.

I just don't know what I did wrong. I am new to Betta fish...so this may be a learning experience for me.
ladikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Hmm... I'm not sure about this one, but I don't have to deal with betta illnesses that often. My guess is that he might have ich.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 
TheJadeBetta

I had something similar happen. Can you get a pick? How long do you go in between water changes?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #4 
ladikara

Well Bubbles is looking MUCH better. I think it must have been stress. The white is gone off his eyes, so I have no idea what that is. He's swimming around. Not 100% active like he was this morning but getting better as the time passes.

It had been about 3 days since the last water change.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #5 
Betta Slave

Glad to hear he's feeling better. Keep a close eye on him though, pesky illnesses sometimes come back. (I'm sure you know this, but just makin' sure )
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #6 
ladikara

For sure! I was so worried about him. I was panicking. I haven't had a fish since I was about 14. I didn't do well with goldfish as a child and promised myself no more fish. Then I saw a friend talking about her Betta and they seemed like such loveable little guys...so I wanted one. I felt now that I am almost 20 years older I could do this. Then after today I thought, "Oh great". I get so attached to my animals and have already gotten an attachment to him even though I've only had him a week. I don't want anything happening to my little guy. :)
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

I'm sure he'll be fine ;) It sounds like you're taking good care of him.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:11 AM   #8 
ladikara

I don't know if I am just over-reacting or if something is wrong. I am noticing Bubbles is getting lighter in the face area. He is eating just fine. Swims around some. He usually finds himself a nice little lounging area within my plants and just hangs out.

I guess what I am stressed about now is his coloring. Here are 2 pictures showing the difference. He was darker in the face and now he's turning to a light brown. Also his "flare area" (not sure the technical name) has this rust color. It was there in the earlier picture, just not such a bright rust color. I know the lighting in the 2 pictures are different but it's the best I have.

Here the pics I took when I got him 2 weeks ago...

Anybody have any ideas on what this could be?

The temp in the tank is 76 (I bought a heater but it's faulty and doesn't work...now is going back). The PH is 7.6. The last water change was yesterday...100%. He is in a 1 gallon tank still. I pick up the larger tank on Tuesday from the post office (missed the delivery today..boo!)
Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #9 
Betta Slave

I'd say that's completely normal. I used to have a betta with a white face (piebald) and within a week his face had turned black.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #10 
sjones

I can't really tell, and I'm not an experienced betta expert but when I got my Clampy his face was dark grey and well as most of his body, in the past month it has gotten much lighter and colors have started to become visible, so the red developing in the gill area may be the color that should be there and is a sign of improving health.
Interesting about the white spots in both eyes, Clampy had that when i got him for a week or two, I started adding aquarium salt to his water(1/2 tsp per gallon) and it has gone away.
I couldn't find any answer to what the dots were.
I'd love to see a picture of your whole tank too!
Oh and for heaters i recommend the marineland stealth, expensive but works!

Last edited by sjones; 05-30-2010 at 08:33 AM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote