Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #1 
Betta Slave

Exclamation Spasms!!!!

I brought Leela home yesterday (in my avatar.) and she is really shy. She's eaten two pellets,is gaining to new color on her tail, but pretty much always has her fins clamped. She hasn't shown any stress stripes, either. She just shakes her head randomly and randomly darts around sometimes. Sometimes it looks like she's trying to swallow something by the way she moves her head, and sometimes it looks like she's trying to spit something out when she has nothing in her mouth. She spends almost all of her time at the back, resting on a plant. She swims around a teeny bit and stuff, but she's so shy! When I put a mirror next to her, she doesn't even un-clamp her fins. She just looks at it and swims away. I'm not used to shy bettas. Could that just be her temperment? All of my bettas not including her are spunky and hyper... Before, I had a piece of almond leaf in there. It had been in there between 5 to 10 minutes (maybe not even five!) before I realized there was a little mold on it, so I removed it. It didn't stay in the tank long enough to turn the water a sight yellowy-brown, though. Is that the problem? Should I do another water change? Help! I don't want Leela to possibly die or be sick!!

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

She could have external parasites in her gill area, like ich, flukes, anchor worms, keep her QT and add 1tsp/g of aquarium salt along with 100% daily water changes (10days salt then 5 days off salt then 10d on salt etc to total 6 weeks for a natural treatment) and feed fresh crushed garlic and the juice mixed in her food if she is eating for at least 6 weeks on the garlic, you may want to look into medication for external parasites if the behavior continues, I don't use them so I can't recommend anything
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #3 
Betta Slave

Wow 0.o a lot to do. No matter- I'll get to work! Thanks. :)
Old 05-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Sorry, how often should I feed her crushed garlic? And should I feed her pellets soaked in garlic guice everyday? And do bettas die easily from parasites? I hope not. I've gotten so attached to this girl so quick. Sorry for all the questions- never had to deal with parasites before...

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I make my own food with fresh (2-3)crushed garlic cloves, (3-4)blanched spinach leaves, (1)raw frozen shrimp (small batch)...all human food grade, smashed all together, flattened and frozen and I break off what I need each day and feed.
For parasite control I feed 3 times a day for 6 weeks and then daily thereafter.
Yes, fresh garlic juice on the staple diet will work too but not as well.

Parasites in high number can kill the fish, but usually it is a secondary infection from the open wounds left by the parasite that kills the fish, this is why QT and 100% daily water changes are so important.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote