Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #1 
JKfish

Unhappy Possible fin biting? D:

Yesterday, I moved my betta from his 1/2 a gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank, which had plenty of hiding spots and is in a dimly lit room, and he was fine. He ignored the hiding spots and would just leisurely swim around the open area. I checked on him every hour or so, and he seemed fine. Then, I went to check on him this morning, and his fins were in shredds. He's a veil tail, but now his tail reminds me of a crown tail! There's nothing that can shred his fins, so it might be that he's biting his tail, but I don't know if that's it for sure. He's getting over some finrot, and some parts of his tail were still healing, but I felt he'd be fine. Could he have just swam around so much the healing parts split?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #2 
JamieTron

I would say he was tail biting from your story, perhaps he also tail bit the healing areas too I have one who is a really bad tail biter he goes through bouts of it
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #3 
JKfish

D: How do I fix it and get him to stop?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #4 
LotusRuin

From what I've seen on this forum, they usually don't stop because it's like a stress reaction. Some people here say it's comparable to a human biting their nails. He's most likely thinking "Holy...what am I gonna do with all this space?? *nervous nervous*"

I thought my fish Harmonus was tail biting too so I posted pictures [could be finrot, never got a definitive answer], but the remedy for damaged fins seems to be the same as the remedy for finrot.

Immaculately clean, warm water, and aquarium salt [as per dosing directions on package].
LotusRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 
JamieTron

umm is there by chance another betta tank close to his? Sometimes some bettas if they see another betta they get frustrated and bite their own fins
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #6 
JKfish

LotusRuin: Thank you for the advise :) Do you know if a tiny pinch of sea salt would be a good subtitute?
JamieTron: No, not at all, he's the only betta, the only indoor fish to be exact.

Well, I'm going to have to move him back to his little 1/2 gallon tank while I clean the 10 gallon and re-decorate and cycle and possibly add some otos and possibly some schooling fish. So, I'm guessing in the 2 or so weeks I'm working on the tank, I can try to heal Puffy too.