Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #1 
cmndrJOE

Aquabid Questions

Ok. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have some questions about Aquabid. I understand the whole bidding and buying part, but how do transhippers come into play? Seller ships to transhipper, transhipper ships to you? Do you have to pay the transhipper also? Luckily, most of the people that I've found fish for, use a transhipper located in my town here, so if I have to meet with them, it won't be hard lol.

Can anyone help me understand this a little better? Thanks!
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Because fish sent from overseas have to be inspected by USFWS and are sent in large groups a transshipper is needed to do the paperwork and take the large shipment of fish from the air port and ship them out to the purchaser.

There are some fees involved with the transshipping and each transshipper has their own fees. Even if you do local pic up your still looking at about $5 in fees for processing etc.

Most transshippers have a webpage listing their prices. You can look them up. If they don't have a webpage, all of them have emails and can answer questions about how much they charge etc.

If you have a transhipper that lives near you then you are very lucky. Most transhippers will allow people that are local to come pick up their fish rather than paying $35 to have them shipped you your house.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #3 
cmndrJOE

Ok. How about getting in contact with the transhipper? Will they usually get ahold of you, or will you have to get ahold of them? This is of course after winning/purchasing the fish.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #4 
XrAdEr

Wow, buying a fish online is pain X_X
XrAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #5 
NIB BETTA

I am one of the lucky ones that lives near my transhipper, so I do local pick ups and pay $4 per fish to cover the transhipper fees.

I email her on the day my fish are shipped from Thailand and let her know the number of fish I am expecting and name of the sellers. Once they have arrived in the U.S., she sends me an email and we arrange for a pick up.
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #6 
ninjafish

I wish a transshipper lived near me. The shipping prices are steep.
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #7 
cmndrJOE

Hey.... I wonder if it would be cheaper for someone to bid on a fish, have it transhipped to someone who could do local pickup (like me) and just have me ship it to them. I wouldn't charge any profit... I wonder if my local transhipper would cut me a deal on a bulk order lol.

What do you guys think? How much do you think it would cost to ship a fish from me (clovis ca) to you? (You being whoever might be interested in trying to save a few bucks on shipping).
Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #8 
cmndrJOE

Lol I forgot to mention, I have a buddy who works for fed ex, and said if I ever needed to ship anything he could send it for half off (I think. Lemme talk to him and figure it out)