Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #11 
jeanclaudeasher

Did you let the water sit out overnight with your first fish? If so most to all of the chlorine should evaporate out of the water however chlorine can bind to some of the other chemicals in water so now leaving water out overnight is not a guarantee that all of the chlorine will evaporate
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #12 
ksmith011

I am really not entirely sure, seeing as I got it in kindergarten and my mom mostly changed the water. As far as I am considered she did not leave the water sitting out but if everything that I'm hearing is correct something must have happened if it survived for that long. I'll ask what she did because now I'm curious!

Also, how long do you think a fish can last in the chlorinated water?
ksmith011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #13 
sjones

you can get smaller bottles of betta conditioner for $3, if you're in a pinch..
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #14 
Betta Slave

I've never kept fish in chlorinated water before. I always use bottled water. But... maybe 2-3 days, or even four... The chlorine is burning him, so it's hard to tell.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #15 
ksmith011

I just asked my mom and she said that the entire time all she did was use water from the sink and we never had conditioner nor did she let it sit out for 24 hours. Maybe our water supply wasn't as contaminated? This was over 10 years ago that we first got that fish. I really do not know, I am just trying to speculate.
ksmith011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #16 
Betta Slave

That's really wierd. The water was probably not as contaminated, yes.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #17 
ashitaka6

Water Conditioner I use is Prime (Best in my opinion a bit spendy but it lasts for a while. Cost for a small bottle is about 6.99, Big Bottle 8.99. Bought at Petco.) Pour a couple drops into tank after every water change.

I also keep my bettas in 2.5 gallon glass tanks ($14 at Petsmart over where I live). (I have 4 of these guys.) Except for one that is in a 1.77 but he's a small male (wasn't power grown) eventually I'll be switching him to a 2.5 glass tank.

I have at least 3 SILK plants (never use plastic it can rip their fins apart) in the tank with plenty of silk leaves on the plant so it provides a good hiding spot for him. (They live in Thailands Rice Patty Fields so it's heavily planted as you can imagine.) If you want to get into keeping live plants. Like Java Moss do some research. Live plants are even better for these guys but silk plants are good as well. (Petsmart has a 3 pack. 2 - 6" plants, 1 - 8" plant.)

I use marineland 10 watt heater ($21 Petsmart) for these tanks. It's submersiable and auto shuts off when the water reaches temp. 78 Degrees. (They should be kept at 78-80. 82 for when the fish is sick.) The brand is very high quality.

Gravel/Marble is optional but not a must to have in tank. Some people say differently but it's up to you. It's nice to look at though ^.^. 3 Tanks of mine don't have gravel the 1.77 has marbles in the bottom.

As for food HBH Betta Bites, Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bites is what I use. Their happy as can be ^.^.

Anyways that's basically my full setup.

Oh yeah and when u do water changed float the betta in the cup you got from the pet store so he can get used to the water temperature. I do this for about 10 mins then pour some water out and fill in water from tank into cup (I pour about half the water out.) Do this twice. Let sit for 5 mins each then gently pour the little guy back into tank.

Anyways that's everything I do. If you'd like to see how my aquariums are setup I will gladly post pics from my 4 aquariums I own.
ashitaka6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #18 
McAttack

i'd say it's the conditioner also. Very cheap, you need very little. If you're going to do daily water changes anyways (cause of the small container) get yourself a decent sized bucket and pre-treat a bigger amount of it. Then when you change the water, you have less work to do each time. Can probably get a week's worth of water treated in one shot. Cover the bucket though. I have a 4g bucket with a lid in one of the closets for this.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote