Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #1 
ksmith011

Unhappy New Owner- Need Quick Help!

Hello everyone,

I've had a betta fish before but when I was younger and my parents took more care of it than I did. I recently got a new one and I have been having a tough time trying to figure it out. I am trying to invest in a tank but unfortunately the tank I have is not very big, it is actually not much of a tank at all, probably not even a gallon. I've tried to find a temperature between 78-82 or whatever it was that has been said, but I don't have a kit so I am not sure if the temperature is actually between that, I am just guessing. The fish acts very strangely and is almost never calm. He shoots back and forth, twitches, almost has spaz attacks, then will swim down and crash into the rocks. He will nestle his head in the rocks and then lie there upside down for a good 5-10 minutes then do it all over again. I don't know what to do and I need help. Attached is a picture of the empty tank that I have him in, I used to have a bowl shaped one but I can't find it. I don't know what to do, any suggestions or tips or help? THANK YOU!
Attached Images

ksmith011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #2 
jeanclaudeasher

I would get a bigger tank soon and maybe add some plants and/or decorations for him to hide in. A bigger tank would be better for him as well. How often do you change the water? Do you use conditioner?
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #3 
ksmith011

I will try and get a bigger tank. When I first got my fish before, it was said that they preferred smaller tanks and everything so I thought this might be enough but the more I read the more I see that people had fairly bigger tanks. I bought the fish on Tuesday and I've actually changed the water each day since then. I know that is probably too much but the fish had been acting so weird that I thought the water might be too hot or too cold so I would try and get it just right. Also, I do plan on adding plants and other things too- I just have to get some money first. And no, I do not use conditioner! Thank you for responding by the way! :)
Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #4 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith011 View Post
I will try and get a bigger tank. When I first got my fish before, it was said that they preferred smaller tanks and everything so I thought this might be enough but the more I read the more I see that people had fairly bigger tanks. I bought the fish on Tuesday and I've actually changed the water each day since then. I know that is probably too much but the fish had been acting so weird that I thought the water might be too hot or too cold so I would try and get it just right. Also, I do plan on adding plants and other things too- I just have to get some money first. And no, I do not use conditioner! Thank you for responding by the way! :)
youre killing your fish, you have to use conditioner to remove chemicals from tap water
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #5 
jeanclaudeasher

I would suggest a conditioner, are you letting the water sit overnight without a conditioner (either way I would use a conditioner)? Tap water has chlorine which is very bad for fish and will kill them. If you are using tap water without a conditioner let the water sit out for at least 24 hours I believe it is (and some chlorine may still be left in the water depending on the tap water type). If you use conditioner which removes chlorine, I usually let it sit for about 5 minutes to ensure that it has time to work. This could be why your fish has been acting funny. With a tank that size I would change the water daily until you get a bigger tank (let tap water sit out over night, this will also help ensure that the water temperatures are the same unless you are using a heater).

I have one betta in a critter keeper, the large size (which is somewhere between 2 and 3 gallons). I have another betta in a 2 gallon tank and a third which is in a 10 gallon with friends. The 2 bettas in smaller tanks are perfectly happy and 2 gallons is a good size, the size of the tank affects how often you change the water etc.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #6 
ksmith011

Thank you for the suggestions. When I got the fish, no one had mentioned anything about a conditioner so I didn't know about this. I will definitely get one, I wish that I had known this sooner. Thank you very much. Do you know how much the conditioner will cost? Is it relatively inexpensive?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

It's pretty inexpensive. Maybe 5-10 dollars per bottle. Get some quick! He might die soon... the tap water is kind of burning him alive.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #8 
jeanclaudeasher

I agree $5-10 per bottle, however it lasts a long time, with 3 tanks 1 bottle can last me a few months
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #9 
ksmith011

Wow, I didn't realize that it was so bad for the fish. When I had my first betta fish, he lived for six years and I am pretty sure that we used water from the sink the entire time. I hope that my fish can hold out until tomorrow though, that is as quick as I can get it.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #10 
Betta Slave

The tap water you used for your old fish was probably de-chlorinated water... there's no way a betta could live in chorinated water for six years!
As Jeanclaudeasher has said, it does last quite a long time, so don't buy like 3 bottles
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote