Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #1 
52cherish

Question Injured or sick female

Lady M. Killigrew was injured by one of the other females in the sorority. Jolly Roger took a piece out of her right pectoral and bottom fin. I have place her in 1/2 Gallon tank to treat her with Bettafix. Is that the right medication?
When I first discovered the injuries yesterday and placed her in her own quarters, she was breathing heavily and was kind of S shaped. Her breathing seems normal now and her body isn't S shaped anymore. However, she has not eaten anything. I gave her bloodworms and tried the pea, just in case there is a swim bladder issue due to bruising. What else can I do.
Also, Jolly Roger being the smallest in the sorority also seems to be the most aggressive. She is now chasing my daughter's Violet and Sparkly Rose Bettas.
Should I place Jolly Roger on the other side of the divider with Cherry our male? He doesn't seem aggressive to her when she swims along the divider.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

While in QT make 100% daily water changes for 4-5 days

How big is the tank for the sorority?

I would not place her with the male
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #3 
52cherish

Thanks for the tip on the daily 100% change... I would have done only every other day, but will follow your advice now.
It is a 10 Gallon tank with lots of hiding spaces (8 inch pirate boat, 4 inch skull and plants and shells). Except for Jolly Roger all others are very docile. Blackbeard (a read female and the biggest) seems to be the "leader" and moves in if she sees Jolly Roger chasing another female.
My son got the Aquarium for his birthday from his grandparents. Both my older kids were allowed to pick 2 female Bettas. We already had the male Cherry at home in a 1 Gallon bowl. He seemed to be down after having the bowl next to the bigger tank and thus I got the divider and added him to the big tank. 80% of the space for the females and 20 for the male. The injured fish is for out little guy... kind of didn't want him to not have a fish in the tank. Do you think the tank is overcrowded?
My daughter's birthday is coming up in the fall and her grandparents are thinking of buying a 5 Gallon Aquarium for her in her room... At that point her two females will move out. Should we speed this up? Do you think the 5 females don't have enough space to separate in the divided tank?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I do think your 10g is overcrowded, I would put the male in his own tank and open it up for just the females and add a few more hiding places and maybe some silk or live plants, by adding tall items in the back and mid center/back- this can break the line of sight and can help with some aggression issues.

If your tank is filtered I would also make 50% weekly water changes and vacuum in areas that can be reached without moving anything in the tank, like decoration, plants...etc....
This will help keep the water quality at its best to prevent health/fin problems
What is the water temp?

This is a wonderful hobby to share with your kids.....would love to see some picks and hear more about your tanks....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #5 
52cherish

The tank is filtered and the temperature is set to 78 F. I recognized that the temp is rising about two to three degrees during the day hours when the light is on and the house also starts to warm up with the heat of the day.