Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #1 
Welsh

1.0ppm Ammonia

I tested my water just a few minutes ago after I changed the water wednesday and the ammonia level was the same 1.0ppm. I know there is no ammonia in my tap water etc so what is causing this? Could it be starting to cycle?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Yes it is the start of the cycle, and you have to do a water change if you have fish in the tank so the ammonia doesn't affect them.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #3 
Welsh

Yeah I know about doing water changes when im doing a fish in cycle just wanted to know what was going on. =)
Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What kind of water conditioner are you using, some products that bind with ammonia will still show ammonia when testing because the test can not tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #5 
Welsh

Tetra Aquasafe, I use it in the 12 gallon aswell and have never had a problem, even when I overstocked and cycled with 15 fish.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How long has the tank been set-up with fish in it, is it filtered? What all is in the tank livestock wise other than the Betta, all uneaten food removed after feeding, is this the 2.4g with Sorbet? You are using the liq reagent type to test...right? sorry can't remember.....
Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #7 
Welsh

Yeah im using the API master kit to test the water, the 2.4 was set up with a filter for about a week before I put in the betta, as for the food I literally only put in as much as he will eat, there is never anything left over. I dont know whether this is worth mentioning but I have had a few plants in his tank, which due to not enough light died/rotted, it still doesnt make sense though because I did a 50% water change the day I took them out.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

The decaying plants can add ammonia pretty fast, you may have some plants piece in the substrate. I would keep doing the 50% daily water changes to keep the ammonia below 0.25ppm and do some good vacuuming and that is hard in a 2.4g, if it continues you may want to dump it and clean it really good and start over...just a thought
How is the Betta doing?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #9 
Welsh

I have sand so I cant really do a vaccum, I was planning on doing another 50% change =) Im going to have muscles like a bodybuilder with the amount of water I lug up and down the stairs lol The betta is fine, his colour came back yesterday I put it down to me removing the plants but we have had very warm weather here in the UK so my bedroom curtains have been closed and of course the darkness made his colour fade, he seems happy enough I just need to find some plants now that can live in his tank without dying lol
Old 05-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Thats right..sand....a bugger to clean...for sure.....sometimes sand can have dead spots when you don't have roots from live plants to pull oxygen into it or trumpet snail that burrow, you need to poke the sand bed at least daily with a stick, wooden spoon, chop stick...anything will work to help prevent anaerobic spot.
How deep is the sand, sometime you can decrease some of it to just half inch and this will help too. Have you smelled anything from the tank like rotten eggs?