Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 
Eolith

Still Reserved. What to do?

In my experience, all of the bettas I have brought home have been timid and perhaps even terrified at first... but they gradually warmed up to the point that they would fearlessly come up for food and I've managed to "train" all of them to swim into a cup when I need to move them (I live in a dorm and need to take them home periodically).

Then Hal came along... and he's trumped everything. I've had him almost a month now and he's still very reserved. It takes quite a while for him to actually come forward and retrieve his food pellets, and he swims away as soon as he's gotten one, waits for maybe a minute, and then comes back. I have to take him home in two weeks and I know with his current demeanor there won't be any coaxing him into a cup... which only pains me because I truly do not want to have to chase him down with a net. That gets so traumatizing and it risks tearing their fins... so I have no idea what to do.

Has anyone else here had a betta that has been stubbornly resistant in such a way? Will he ever come around?
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #2 
ninjafish

I'm not really sure..Bettas almost always come around, but each one is different and sometimes they do take a long time. I don't think you need to worry about catching him with a net..I've been using that method for years and not once have my fish ever been harmed or had their fins damaged. As long as you're careful and not hitting him into anything, he'll be fine. I recommend removing decorations before you try to net him. :)
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote