Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #1 
Tirianixie
Member
 
Tirianixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anywhere with a fishtank
Angry Fish to eat hair algae?

I have a hair algae problem in my 20g tank with a female betta, an inch long bristlenose pleco, and neon tetras. Does anyone know of a fish or shrimp that would help keep down hair algae levels by eating it that would be compatible with my fish and tank?
Tirianixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14
Member
 
Bikeridinguckgirl14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Either Philadelphia or Pittsburg pa
Shrimp might eat it but you'd have better luck with snails
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #3 
tankman12
Member
 
tankman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
The only things that will destroy it is excel and siamese algae eaters (true ones).
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #4 
Tirianixie
Member
 
Tirianixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anywhere with a fishtank
Would Siamese algae eaters be compatible in my tank? I hear they become aggressive, and lose their taste for algae when they mature. Do you know if flying foxes are good? I'm practically clueless about them. I was maybe going to try shrimp soon. :) Thanks for replying! :D
Tirianixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #5 
trilobite
Member
 
trilobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Siamese algae eater 100%. I put mine into my hair algae ridden tank and within a few days it was all gone. My guy wasnt aggressive and was an adult, he still ate it. Flying foxes are more useless at algae eating ime
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #6 
trilobite
Member
 
trilobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Christchurch, NZ
But 20g might be a bit small for a full grown one. You could use him to do the dirty work then sell him on once its done/once he gets too big. Or buy a bigger tank! Algae is usually too much light and too many nutrients so if you reduce those you shouldnt get your hair algae back
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #7 
tankman12
Member
 
tankman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Ya sell him or them once they eat the algae. A lot of people think the siamese are aggressive. Their not. The flying foxes and the chinese, suck the slim coat of fish. They do loose there taste for algae as they age. Is the tank planted? If so use so flourish excel, and it will destroy the hair algae.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #8 
Freedom
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Someone said you can use Excel to kill it - this is true. However, overdosing with Excel may also kill off some fish, so be cautious with that.

You will continue to have algae issues until you sort out the cause. Possibilities include:
- direct sunlight
- too much light - put your lights on a timer, not more than 6 -8 hours per day. This will stop future algae. To rid of current algae, you need complete darkness for 4 days which may not be good for the fish and plants in the tank
- over feeding - do you fast your fish one day per week?
- over stocking
- too many nutrients - do you add ferts? Cut back on this. Do you have enough live plants to use up all the nutrients in the tank?
- a too clean tank makes it VERY easy for algae to multiply

While adding an algae eater of some sort will help, usually they can not keep up with algae in a tank which already has a large amount. And remember they do not eat ONLY algae, you still have to feed them!

You may do best by removing the current algae manually, and then changing things which caused it to develop in the first place.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #9 
tankman12
Member
 
tankman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Overdosing doesnt kill fish or even shrimp IME. Unless you really overdose. If you have a good filter you will be fine. All my tanks are over filtered and heavily planted. So if you overdose and you have like 1 java fern, maybe it will kill something. Also maybe you should add a small power head. Cuz, more flow = less algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 08-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #10 
Freedom
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Excel is a reducing agent. Overdosing reduces the water's capacity to hold oxygen. Fish may end up at the surface, gasping.

- paraphrase from the Seachem Tech Support forum
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does this look like hair algae.... Neecy Betta Fish Care 5 03-14-2014 10:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.