Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #1 
Tirianixie

Angry Fish to eat hair algae?

I have a hair algae problem in my 20g tank with a female betta, an inch long bristlenose pleco, and neon tetras. Does anyone know of a fish or shrimp that would help keep down hair algae levels by eating it that would be compatible with my fish and tank?
Tirianixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Shrimp might eat it but you'd have better luck with snails
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #3 
tankman12

The only things that will destroy it is excel and siamese algae eaters (true ones).
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #4 
Tirianixie

Would Siamese algae eaters be compatible in my tank? I hear they become aggressive, and lose their taste for algae when they mature. Do you know if flying foxes are good? I'm practically clueless about them. I was maybe going to try shrimp soon. :) Thanks for replying! :D
Tirianixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #5 
trilobite

Siamese algae eater 100%. I put mine into my hair algae ridden tank and within a few days it was all gone. My guy wasnt aggressive and was an adult, he still ate it. Flying foxes are more useless at algae eating ime
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #6 
trilobite

But 20g might be a bit small for a full grown one. You could use him to do the dirty work then sell him on once its done/once he gets too big. Or buy a bigger tank! Algae is usually too much light and too many nutrients so if you reduce those you shouldnt get your hair algae back
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #7 
tankman12

Ya sell him or them once they eat the algae. A lot of people think the siamese are aggressive. Their not. The flying foxes and the chinese, suck the slim coat of fish. They do loose there taste for algae as they age. Is the tank planted? If so use so flourish excel, and it will destroy the hair algae.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #8 
Freedom

Someone said you can use Excel to kill it - this is true. However, overdosing with Excel may also kill off some fish, so be cautious with that.

You will continue to have algae issues until you sort out the cause. Possibilities include:
- direct sunlight
- too much light - put your lights on a timer, not more than 6 -8 hours per day. This will stop future algae. To rid of current algae, you need complete darkness for 4 days which may not be good for the fish and plants in the tank
- over feeding - do you fast your fish one day per week?
- over stocking
- too many nutrients - do you add ferts? Cut back on this. Do you have enough live plants to use up all the nutrients in the tank?
- a too clean tank makes it VERY easy for algae to multiply

While adding an algae eater of some sort will help, usually they can not keep up with algae in a tank which already has a large amount. And remember they do not eat ONLY algae, you still have to feed them!

You may do best by removing the current algae manually, and then changing things which caused it to develop in the first place.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #9 
tankman12

Overdosing doesnt kill fish or even shrimp IME. Unless you really overdose. If you have a good filter you will be fine. All my tanks are over filtered and heavily planted. So if you overdose and you have like 1 java fern, maybe it will kill something. Also maybe you should add a small power head. Cuz, more flow = less algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 08-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #10 
Freedom

Excel is a reducing agent. Overdosing reduces the water's capacity to hold oxygen. Fish may end up at the surface, gasping.

- paraphrase from the Seachem Tech Support forum
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote