Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Doing some rearranging.. need opinions

Ok.. I'm having a hard time visualizing what I want to do so I need help. I'm trying to "consolidate" my tanks by getting a couple 10 gallons and dividing them and taking down some of my smaller tanks.

Here is my current set up and who lives in each tank
  • 10 gallon divided in half planted and cycled (Blue Jeans/ Jasper plus snail and ghost shrimp)
  • 10 gallon divided 3 ways.. fake plants, no filter (Rio, Neptune, Sid)
  • 6 gallon divided 3 ways.. fake plants, cycled (Demetri, Phoebe, Chaos)
  • 4 gallon planted, cycled (Spots.. until monday plus 2 snails)
  • 3 gallon cycled, fake plants (Big Red.. until monday plus 1 snail)
  • 2.5 gallon cycled, fake plants (Freddie Mercury)
  • 3 gallon, fake plants, no filter (Eros)
  • 3 gallon, fake plants, no filter (Merlin)
  • 2 gallon, fake plants, no filter (Alexander)
  • 2 gallon, fake plants, no filter (Damon Salvatore)
  • 1 gallon, fake plants, no filter (Nancy)
The tanks in red are staying as is, except I'll be moving some fish around in the 10 gallon. Sid is actually my Mom's fish and he'll be going to live with her after I spawn him and Nancy. Taking his place will be Eros. Freddie's tank has to stay because he needs to be away from other fish.. plus I like it where it is

I currently have an empty 10 gallon that I'll be dividing 4 ways (after much debate). In there I'd like to put Alexander, Damon, Blue Jeans, and Jasper.

In the first 10 gallon on the list I'd like to take the divider out and turn that into a sorority with Nancy, Phoebe, Helena, and Foxy (who will be arriving from Zenandra next week). That's 4 females in a heavily planted tank with ghost shrimp and 2 mystery snails. I may keep a female from one of the spawns I'm doing and put her in there as well.

It seems to work out well right? I just can't decide what to do with my 3, 6, and 4 gallon tanks. Once Spots and Big Red leave on Tuesday the 3 and 4 gallons will be empty. I'm considering giving the 4 gallon to my Mom but keep the plants, etc (she has more money than I do and can buy her own accessories).. that way she can keep Sid in there. That would leave me with a 6 gallon with 2 fish in it (because Phoebe would be in the sorority) and a 3 gallon.

I could either 1.. keep both tanks 2.. get another 10 gallon and divide it 4 ways putting Demetri and Chaos in there as well as 2 choice picks from my spawns. I'm leaning towards getting another 10 gallon.

Is any of this making any sense? I'm so confused right now I can't tell which way is up it seems LOL I can't even tell if I'm actually consolidating my tanks or just replacing them. My main goal is to try to have the least amount of plugs running as possible.

I think I'm going to try writing it on paper

oh.. and in case you were wondering because I didn't mention him. Merlin will be staying in his 3 gallon until I decide to adopt him out and he goes to a new home.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

I was going to help, but you just confused me. O.o Which fish are going and which ones are not leaving?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

LOL.. I confused myself. Big Red and Spots are going. In return I'm getting 2 females from Zenandra. ((In a few months I'll probably be putting Merlin up for adoption but for arguments sake lets just say he's staying.))

I think I figured it out... see if this makes sense
  • 10 gallon planted... sorority with 4 females (Helena, Foxy, Phoebe, and Nancy...+ maybe a female from my breeding)
  • 10 gallon divided 3 ways.. (Rio, Neptune, Eros)
  • 10 gallon divided 4 ways.. (BJ, Alex, Damon, Jasper)
  • 10 gallon divided 4 ways.. (Chaos, Demi, + 2 new males from my breeding)
  • 2.5 gallon.. (Freddie)
  • 3 gallon.. (Merlin)
This actually cuts my tanks almost in half.. but still leaves me room for a choice male from each of the spawns I'm doing. It also means each fish will be in at least 2.5 gallons and will have a cycled tank.

Basically this all hinges on whether or not all my females can get along in a sorority.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

Okay, now I get it. Sound goods to me. Are you going to set this up before or after the breeding?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

Sort of during LOL. I'm actually doing the breeding at my mom's house because I'm not allowed anything bigger than a 10 gallon tank. All my fish are at my dorm right now. So the only fish from the breeding that will come back with me are going to be the ones I'm keeping.

I may take some of the males from the breeding once they're jarred to help my mom out but that will only be until they're old enough to sell.

I'm going to probably wait until after the spawning to set up the sorority as 2 of the females will be at my mom's house. Once they've recovered from the spawn I'll bring them back to school and set up the sorority.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #6 
TheJadeBetta

What are you going to do if the females don't get along?
Old 05-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

Well I know that Helena and Foxy (the two I'm getting from Zenandra) will get along because they're from her sorority. The other two I'm not sure about but if they don't get along I'll have to keep them in little 2 gallon tanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #8 
TheJadeBetta

Oh okay. It sounds good to me.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I think so too :) Now all I have to do is resist getting more fish before my babies are ready... that's going to be the hard part :( Especially since I'll actually have empty spaces