Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

So frustrated!!

I just need to vent a little to people who understand (and maybe one of you have an idea).

I have been dealing with chronic fin rot in my Neptune for almost a year. It didn't start to get really bad until late summer. I've tried Furan 2, General Cure, Kanaplex and now Triple Sulfa. I'm so desperate, I'm allergic to Triple Sulfa. I have a sweet rash on my face from using it .

Now, my Alfie has decided that he needs to get in on the action. He has developed popeye. Epsom salt didn't treat it, so I've started a course of antibiotics for him too.

Then on a non-betta related note my guinea pig Odette (who has already had two ovarian cysts and uterine tumor), started to act sick in December. She had a stone that they were able to remove without surgery, but she also has an enlarged heart and fluid on her heart.

Ugh. I've already lost several bettas this past fall, and two of my horses died unexpectedly in November (one from colic, one from an unknown cause). My 20 g tank has pretty much sunk into chaos (all my fish died, except my platys which have gone from 3 to 50+).

Then to top it all off... I've noticed a fish at work that has been there a long time. He's starting to show signs of illness. I want to bring him home soooo bad. While I do have 2 empty tanks, I just don't have the time or energy to deal with another sick fish. He is a beautiful boy though. He's a pearl white DS.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #2 
Sathori

I can relate.

3/5 of my bettas started tail biting. First Gray (my marble super delta) started just nipping at his fins. So I bought a 10gallon and divided it for him and Gajeel (my DSHM) to share (hoping the extra space would cure the tail biting). Gray then goes and tears a strip from his butt to the tip of his tail, making him look like a double tail, and refuses to leave his fins alone. I made the boys trade sides to see if a change of scenery would help, and then Gajeel starts tail biting! I had to move Gajeel into a 2 gallon bowl.

Then I look at the 3 gallon beside them and see that Natsu, my orange VT, is nibbling at what he had left of his tail (He was missing some of his tail when I bought him). I knew he was happy in the 1.5gallon I originally had him in, so I moved him back into there to see if that would help, and it seems to.

Meanwhile my cat, Cisqua, decides she's bored in this small apartment (not that I blame her) and decides the best game to play is terrorize the new CT I bought by batting at his tank when he gets close. When she's not doing that, she's knocking all the collectables on the shelves off onto the ground when I'm trying to sleep. She has tons of toys scattered around the apartment and a big, homemade cat tree, but she's young and obviously restless...

My dog, Harley Quinn, who is coming up on 4 years, has suddenly developed a chicken intolerance. So if she eats dog food that is chicken based, she will have completely liquid diarrhea. So I had to figure out a dog food that did not have chicken, or grains (I feed her grain free so she doesn't shed like crazy), and yet still appeal to her picky taste. And it had to be a food that my work place could order in since we are the only pet store within 2hrs driving distance.
Plus with this dry weather, she's constantly reverse sneezing. She often will come to my side of the bed in the middle of the night and start reverse sneezing in my face. That and she keeps hacking like there's something caught in her throat. The vet says she's fine, and that it's likely the dry air that's causing it all. We bought the biggest humidifier we could afford, but it runs out of water so quickly...

My other dog, Bruce Wayne, had to stay on the farm with my parents since my apartment contract only allows 2 pets under 30lbs (Bruce is 75lbs). My parents don't really like having a large dog in the house, so they built him a dog run with a heated dog house... But he has really short hair and I worry about him constantly. My husband and I really want to have him with us, but we cannot afford a house right now, and our landlords won't let us take him in.

I have a special needs leopard gecko, and I'm finding now that I don't have quite as much time as I would like to take care of her, but I'm so protective over her that I don't want to just give/sell her to a random stranger, I'm worried they wouldn't take care of her.

I also have sick fish at work as well and don't know what to do for them. I have 5 fish already and my husband is about to lose his mind if I would bring home another, especially since my divided 10 gallon didn't pan out.

I'm definitely pulling my hair out over all my pets lol

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss with your horses. I use to own horses as well, and they are such amazing animals. I had a colic scare with my one mare and I was in tears since I was so freaked out.

I really hope you find something to help your bettas. I wish there was something I could do that would cure tail biting for good. :/

Is there anything you can use in the store to treat the poor guy in the store? Where I work, we sometimes write off some products and use them for the animals we have in the store when they get sick. Head office doesn't understand why we do it, but we refuse to let the animals in our store just die off because we don't want to spend the time treating them, so head office usually doesn't say anything as long as we don't go spending a ton of money.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Wow. It sounds like you've had a lot of problems too.

I wish I could do something for the guy at work, but it's a chain store and they only treat with salt or Bettafix. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I suspect he's stressed. I think he just needs more space, a hiding place and some love. I also don't work enough that I could treat him. I am only "on call" and I haven't worked since the last week of December.

What are you feeding Harley Quinn? I have a lot of dogs with allergies and digestive problems. I feed Wellness Simple Diet Salmon. It's not grain free, but if she doesn't have a grain allergy it shouldn't matter. The fish protein and oil is great for maintaining a healthy coat.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #4 
Sathori

I work in a coporate chain store as well. We don't have a lot when it comes to medication for fish (unfortunately) but we try to do what we can. But I get what you mean, it's hard to take care of it when you're not there that often and often a warm home is the best cure. I convinced my manager to let me give a double tail to my friends because he was not getting better. As soon as he was in a bowl of warm water, he started recovering extremely quick.

I finally found a food that seems to work well with her. I tried her on Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb Diet, but the extra calcium seemed to make her constipated. So I finally found food called Go! Turkey. It's not only grain free, but also potato free as well :) And the best part is, I get my staff discount on it, AND they have a frequent buyer card. :) She seems to enjoy it and it's cheaper than the Nature's Variety (as much as I liked having her on that brand).
Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathori View Post
I work in a coporate chain store as well. We don't have a lot when it comes to medication for fish (unfortunately) but we try to do what we can. But I get what you mean, it's hard to take care of it when you're not there that often and often a warm home is the best cure. I convinced my manager to let me give a double tail to my friends because he was not getting better. As soon as he was in a bowl of warm water, he started recovering extremely quick.

I finally found a food that seems to work well with her. I tried her on Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb Diet, but the extra calcium seemed to make her constipated. So I finally found food called Go! Turkey. It's not only grain free, but also potato free as well :) And the best part is, I get my staff discount on it, AND they have a frequent buyer card. :) She seems to enjoy it and it's cheaper than the Nature's Variety (as much as I liked having her on that brand).
I've never heard of Nature's Variety.

I wish I knew someone who would take him. If I did, I'd grab him in a heart beat. But, alas, I don't. I do look at my empty 10g and think.. hmm.. I should split that. I'm just so limited with time as it is. I'm teaching 3 courses this semester, I'm preparing to defend my research in April so I can finally graduate with my MS and move onto my PhD, I'm taking 2 classes, I have all my sick animals as it is, but I also live on a horse farm with 40 horses to care for and I at this moment I already have 10 bettas, then there are the dogs (8) that I have to deal with. Ugh. You see why I'm on call at the pet store . Every time i go in they ask when I'll be back.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #6 
Sathori

I love Nature's Variety. I have my cat on it. High in protein and they have a "rawboost" formula that has pieces of freeze dried meat in there depending on the base of the kibble (Chicken formula has freeze dried chicken, duck and turkey formula has freeze dried duck and turkey, etc) Harley was doing really well on the rawboost chicken formula until she developed her chicken intolerance.

You seem to have a LOT on your plate as is, I can completely understand why 11 bettas would be pushing it! haha
My coworkers tell me I'm never allowed to quit. I went to college to be a veterinary assistant, but since the vet clinics in my town are overstaffed, I have to wait until they have an opening (I did my practicum here and I'm friends with one of the main vets). So in the mean time, I'm working at my local pet store to pay the bills.
My coworkers are all very knowledgable, but I am the one with the most variety in animal experience/knowledge. I've worked with and owned many types of different animals, so my coworkers rely on me a lot to answer customers questions about fish, reptiles, and often cat and dog.
It's nice to feel needed :P lol