Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Question Silly question. How much does it cost per year to own a betta?

I've been trying to get a betta for a while now but just haven't had the funds or time. Now it's summer and I just got a job so I was thinking that with my first paycheck I could get a PS2 and the stuff for a betta.

The thing is though... how much do you guys think you spend per year in betta care?

Also does anyone have any idea how much electricity a 5 gallon tank usually uses with just the filter, light, and heater? I'm an environmentalist and wanna be as energy efficient as possible even with my fish keeping! =]

Thanks for reading and sorry for the weird questions. ^_^;
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #2 
nacho

Excellent question - I was asking this myself.

Don't quote me on this, but I recently read somewhere that a 10 gallon costs as much as a coffeemaker would per year? Sounds weird now that I type it. Anywho, I found this bit of information on this website:

Link

Quote:
FISH (includes freshwater and saltwater)
Initial cost: Bringing home a new fish will cost you at least $100. You can expect to pay $35 for a 10 gallon aquarium with hood and light fixture, $10 on a bulb, $10 on an automatic timer, and $25 on tank accessories like gravel and plants. The larger fish, like catfish and cichlids, will need at least a 40 gallon tank, which can cost about $200. Fish themselves run anywhere from $1 per goldfish to hundred of dollars for the more exotic species.
Maintenance: Each year you will spend about $65 on food, $35 on water treatment chemicals, $40 on medication, and $60 for equipment such as filters and cleaning supplies, for an average of $200 per year, or $4 per week.
I say the initial cost is the most I'll ever spend on fish.

This website has some information on the monthly energy bill for maintaining an aquarium:

Link

Last edited by nacho; 05-26-2010 at 07:10 PM.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

D8 You are AWESOME! You answered my question completely and in a short amount of time! You have just saved me a ton of extra hard work that I don't have time for! =]

Thank you so much! From the information you provided I have decided that it may be best to start off with a 5 gallon instead of a 10 gallon. Then when I have more money and I've done a better job at lowering my general energy consumption I'll get the 10 gallon! =]

Thank you again! =]
Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #4 
nacho

Hey, no problem. It just shows how OBSESSED I've been with bettas and the aquarium hobby the last few months. (Betta research has been my life) :)
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #5 
Beethoven

I'm not sure of your living situation but last year I lived in a one bedroom apartment by myself. I unplugged EVERYTHING when I wasn't using it (except the refrigerator). I would turn off the heat when I left the house or the AC depending and sometimes I just wouldn't run AC. Anyway, my point is that my Electric bill was never over $18 a month and my Gas bill was never over $35 a month just by unplugging things when they weren't in use! I'm sure you already know this though!
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh yeah and thank you! =] But I'm 18 and currently home for the summer. My family is in a tight spot right now and we have to keep the AC on. Our bills are low too, like 25-50 dollars a month but I still wanna keep things down while I'm here you know? When I'm back at school the only things I have plugged in all day are the microwave, the mini-fridge, and my laptop. I think I'll start unplugging the microwave when I go back though and only plug it in when I use it. =] That way the aquarium can be plugged in all the time. =]
Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #7 
bpgoose

I just bought a 2-1/2 gallon tank with filter and light for $45. The betta fish was $3.99, gravel 5 pounds was 7.99 the live plant was 6.99 and the arched rock was 12.99. Food which will last a long time cost $3.99. I still have to buy a thermometer and heater, even though right now my room is never below 80F due to the heat wave we are having currently. I will have the heater in a couple of days. The filter that came with the tank is a little strong so I only run it for an hour each day. My water only needs baking soda to adjust the ph, so that is really cheap to buy at the grocery store. I don't know how much ph test kit costs as I'm using one I have had for several years. Hope this has helped. Also buy bettafish food and NOT tropical fish food.
bpgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #8 
xxabc

For me, the plants + gravel + random decor > tank.

But not by much. I spend a lot on plants because bettas do really, really well in heavily-planted tanks. Not bare tanks with 2 plants here and 1 plant there. So ... I take that far and spend a lot of money there, haha.

After initial cost, you should hardly be spending anything afterwards (aside from redecorating or illness or accident). My initial cost was near $100 for my 5 gallon divided.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #9 
newfiedragon

I was lucky enough to find a 2.6 gallon Marina goldfish kit for half price while it was on sale. So for $20 (Canadian), I got a tank, gravel, decoration, filter, background, small bottles of water treatments (2 different kinds), and a small container of goldfish food that I have no clue what I'm going to do with. I bought a fake plant, the light that goes with those Marina tanks on sale, and a small heater at Wal-mart. The light cost $8.50 and the heater cost about $11.98. I had to buy some betta food, since all I had was goldfish food. All in all, it cost about $40-45 (again, Canadian) for the full set up. Then all I had to add was the fish!!!!
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #10 
CodeRed

Right now, the most money I spend is for fish food and salt, which lasts me about a year (: SO, after the initial set up, it's been costing me about... 12 bucks xD That`s it. Very inexpensive after the initial set up.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta care, efficiency, money, question