Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #1 
thegameksk

Croy Catfish question

Hey guys. I just purchased 2 croys for my tank. I have a 10 gallon tank split for 2 male bettas. I put them with the less aggressive Betta. When I bought them the petstore lady told me to buy shrinking shrimp pellets which I did. The issue is my Betta is trying to eat them while the baby Croys are and he ends up chasing them away. What can I do about this? Also how many of the pellets should I feed the Croys?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #2 
JamieTron

I found my bettas like the sinking pellets too and they were eating too much...I feed my bettas first and distract them then I sink some flakes for my cori rather than the pellets that my bettas find later on and hog. Perhaps you could try this?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #3 
Erik

I have my betta in a tank with 5 black neon tetras and 5 corys, so I put him in a breeders box for like 5-10 minutes while the others eat. He doesn't seem to mind it too much
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #4 
thegameksk

The Catfish eat slow thou. I took my Betta out for 20 minutes and the Catfish didnt find the food till like 10 minutes in. They ate a bit and swam away. As soon as I put my Bettas back in, the crowntail gobbled it up and my King Betta ate the damn pellet in one bite! Ugh. I need to figure out a way to feed the cat fish!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #5 
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegameksk View Post
The Catfish eat slow thou. I took my Betta out for 20 minutes and the Catfish didnt find the food till like 10 minutes in. They ate a bit and swam away. As soon as I put my Bettas back in, the crowntail gobbled it up and my King Betta ate the damn pellet in one bite! Ugh. I need to figure out a way to feed the cat fish!
One thing you can do is take your betta out, wait til the corys have finished, and then scoop out the remaining food. Not fun, but it will ensure that your betta doesn't get overfed
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #6 
Allenbetta

I once had 2 albino cory fish living with Betta;the outcome is not good. Because Betta always chasing the cory fish which made turbulent on the tank. Personally,I am not recommend keeping Betta with any other fish but itself. Betta seems very cantankerous on male,but that's just it. Betta is fragile fish and afraid of being disturbed constantly whatever on its environ.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #7 
vaygirl

You can also try feeding the corys at night after lights out. They like to eat in the dark. I put Tango in a breeders cup too, one that floats right in the tank so it's less stress (Lee's three way breeder). It takes corys a while to get the feeding routine down but now when I put Tango in the cup, all the corys come front and center to chow down.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #8 
thegameksk

How big is your tank? I have a split 10 gallon. From looking at pics of the breeder tank it seems like it may not fit easily in my split. Can I put more then one Betta in the tank? Does it have dividers?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #9 
AndiH

Hrmm I have had absolutely no issues of my betta hassling my cories (4 pandas). I think the true issue may be the size of the tank tbh. Mine are in the 14g that is about 18 inches tall so there is plenty of "head" space. I have no set routine to which I feed first. Cories do much much better in small groups. I originally just had the 2 pandas and while they moved about they were fairly listless. I added 2 more and its fairly rare to see them being slow or still for long now.
AndiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #10 
ThePearlFish

My betta as the pellet goes down seems to sniff at it then leave it alone, but at first he nibbled at it and I always distract him by feeding him first. He seems to like the algae wafers more than the shrimp pellets :-/
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote