Betta Fish Forum banner

Amazon Sword

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Learn To Fly 
#1 ·
I just purchased some amazon sword plants. Can anyone tell me about them? I dont know much about taking care of live plants but my Bettas seem to love them so far. I dont even know if I planted them right. Can I plant them directly into the gravel? I know I have the right light bulb for them but thats all I know.

#2 ·
Ive got a couple of them planted straight into my gravel in my 190L tank, they seem to be surviving fine :dunno:and Ive seen the roots growing through the gravel. As far as I know from reading online they are a pretty undemanding plant can grow in lowish light lvls. Just to be sure maybe stick a fetilizer tablet under or near them in the substrate just to make sure they have food :)

#3 ·
Yes they will be perfectly fine right in the gravel. If you took it out of the pot try to seperate it so you can spread them out.

#7 ·
You will end up having to take them out of the 5 gal, and possibly the 10 as well. Swords can get really, really big.

#9 ·
They get a LOT bigger than eight inches. People have had them take over their tanks! And it's not just their leaves that get big, their root system goes literally all over the tank.

#10 ·
Here is a link to some info on these swords. http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_eamazon.php

(sorry for linking to a different site, mods)

This is an amazing plant, mine puts out a new leaf about every week. I'm just saying it will eventually get way too big for your tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.