Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #1 
52cherish

Question cleaning used tanks

My husband just brought home two used tanks from our transfer station. They have lights and heaters and contain gravel. How do I go about cleaning everything?
I am not sure if it is okay to keep the gravel. It looks like it is in good shape and not too old.
The tanks are pretty dusted up must have been stored in a wood working area. What cleaning material is okay to use to make sure they are "germ" free? Would a nature soap followed up with vinegar solution be right?
Thanks for any feedback in this matter!!!
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #2 
Narnian

You definitely don't want to use any sort of soap or detergent....not even nature soap.

I asked a similar question awhile back, on here. (but still haven't gotten around to cleaning mine out yet to try it) They said to use vinegar to get rid of soap and other residues, then use a 10% bleach solution (meaning 1 part bleach to 9 parts water) and let it sit a few minutes. Then RINSE RINSE RINSE like crazy.......rinse some more, then let it sit in the sun for a day or so, if possible.

Then you fill it with water and use de-chlorinating water conditioner to remove any sort of bleach residue, if there is any. :)
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #3 
plec2010

best way to clean

the best way i have found to clean a fish tank and that is useing hot water and a unused clean sponge and keep wiping the dust and grime the best way i have found to clean gravles is to clean a lil at a time in two bowles and keeping swapping over the gravle and just keep washing and the gravle under hot water to get all dust and any algy untill the water keeps running clear
plec2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #4 
plec2010

noooooooooo

please dont use bleach i think its to much of a risk just use hot water i have been keeping fish for 5 years and not used anything like that before
plec2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I clean with diluted bleach, but most important IMO especially with tank that have sat dry....is a leak test...fill the tank outside if you can and let it sit for 24 hours, often when a tank sits dry the seals will dry and crack and you end up with leaks and wet floors...no fun.....easy to fix with an aquarium safe sealant....so no worries........
You can also use the gravel if you want, just leave it in the tank with the diluted bleach water while it is sitting for its leak test, also if it came with a filter run it during the leak test to get it cleaned and checked for working order.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote