Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #1 
vegascopester

Unhappy Female Betta. Very worried

I have had my female betta Eleanor for 5 months now, and she has been very energetic until this past week. I've kept her in a small tank that I got at Petsmart and she has been happy in it, even though I know she needs more space. I got her a new tank that is 10 gallons and when I introduced her into it, she lost a lot of her personality. At first she would just sit at the top in the corners and be very lethargic. She wouldn't eat and started to form a white muccus on her body. I decided to put her back in her old bowl to try to help her, and I got her some anti-fungal medicine *Pimafix* to try to get rid of what I was told was fungus. She no longer has the white muccus, but she began to look like she had ich. I treated her again for ich this time using Ick away, which contains malachite green. It seems to be working on her ich, however she is still very lethargic and will not eat. I've noticed that much of her body is losing color (she is a beautiful royal blue) and she is now turning gray under her gills and around her bottom fin. She has also developed light horizontal stripes on her body, which I have seen in other posts means stress. I am very worried about my little girl, and I would greatly appreciate help on the matter. Should I put her in the large tank *with filter and heater* or keep her in her small tank for now to help her recover. I'm attaching images of her and of the new tank I am putting her in. I would really love some help so I can help her recover to her happy self. I normally fed her betta pellets and dried bloodworms, which she loved, but she won't move now when I put food into the bowl.

vegascopester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Do her scales look pine-coney? Are they raised at all? It's hard to tell from the pictures.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #3 
vegascopester

They aren't raised at all.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Does she have a hard time going to the bottom of the tank? In other words, when she goes to the bottom, does she "bob" back up? How long has she been in medication? Did you give her a break or just go right into another medication? I usually never use medications unless I absolutely have to because bettas can get a bad reaction to them.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #5 
vegascopester

She does seem to have a difficult time from the bottom. She has been at the top for the majority of the past days. I didn't give much of a break between medications. I did one two days ago and the other yesterday. I wasn't sure if it was a problem. I also did a 50% water change before the second medication.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #6 
Kim

The single most important thing to check is your water quality, both in the bowl and the tank. Many people do not understand the nitrogen cycle, which is the fundamental of all aquarium keeping. What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? How often are you doing water changes in the bowl? How long was she in the tank and what was your water change schedule then? Answering these questions will give us much more to work with in diagnosing.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #7 
vegascopester

I am going to be getting a water testing kit today to check the water, but before I would change her water once a week, but she was only in the new tank for two days before I took her out because of what was happening, and since I have changed the full tank and gotten it on a cycle with the filter.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm sorry about all the questions I'm asking you.lol What was her feeding schedule? In other words, how many pellets were you feeding her a day and when did you feed her bloodworms and how much? Since their stomachs are the size of ONE of their eyes, it's very small so over-feeding them is easy. They also give you those puppy dog eyes like they're hungry even when you fed them, but don't give into it!lol
Old 05-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #9 
vegascopester

I would give her 2 pellets in the morning and a small amount of blood worms near the night.
And it's no problem at all on questions, I would love as much help as I can get.
Also, I just looked at her and she seems to be getting fin rot now around her top fin the most but also around the bottom and tail. Just did a 50% water change. Should be getting a testing kit very soon, need to get over to the pet store.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #10 
vegascopester

Also, the minor amount of moving she is doing, she won't move her left fin at all anymore...:(