Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

What am I doing wrong???

Okay, so my tank is all set up with everything i am going to put in it deco, heater, filter, substrate. And then I added a little ammonia, but my tank simply won't cycle. What am I doing wrong?!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

Sorry, forgot to add a few other things. So I added the ammonia, and everything stayed at zero exept for that. And someone told me I only needed to add it once. I added it twice. Once website told me to do it everyday. But wanted to ask here first. Okay, so what do I do. I am getting a little fustrated. It just doesn't seem like it should be this hard. Would it help if I added some water from one of my other tanks? It would be uncycled unfiltered water. Or do I just keep doing what I'm doing? But it doesn't seem like my tank is doing anything.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

It take 4-8 weeks to cycle and you need to keep the ammonia level at about 2-3ppm daily (depending on tank size and stocking plan), however, since you have established tanks cut a piece of the cycled filtered media and add it to the new tank filter and a handful of the top layer of gravel in some pantyhose and put under the filter to seed the tank and skip the ammonia and add the fish if this is a small betta only tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

Okay, so adding some gravel in pantyhose will still cycle the tank?
I might just add Ryo then on Tue. And do that. I didn't want to do a fish cycle, but I might just to get ryo out of the bowl.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Depending on what size tank he is going in, cycling is not needed per se' due to the number of water changes that has to be done on 3g and less tanks in the first place, IMO/E with filter 2-50% weekly, this will cover most if not all ammonia build up in the tank from 1 fish.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

Well he is going into the divided 10g. I was going to do a fish cycle, but realized I won't be able to be here to keep an eye on him while cycling so it will be fishless.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

Didn't you say that the tank you planned to take media from was uncycled? If so then wouldn't it not work? And from what I've read even with a fishless cycle you need to be there every day for water changes anyway. I'd just wait to cycle when you get back home.
There's also this product called Safe Start by Tetra (Used to be Bio Spira) that will cycle your tank in a week or under. =]
I think Walmart sells it (at least the tetra products website says so) if not then your LFS/LPS might have it. If no one has it and you're willing though you could just buy it online. =] That's what I think I'm gonna do because my Walmarts are out of stock right now and I don't want to get my tank FINALLY set up just to have to empty it for transport to college! >.<

It really does work too. =] it's even recommended on fishlore! =] BTW this is a page that will tell you how to cycle your tank. it even gives different methods so you don't have to go with just ammonia. =] http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #8 
a123andpoof

Well if it only takes two weeks then it will be fine, if it takes longer I will ask my grandpa to do while I am gone. He is going to be house sitting for us while we are away. And if it still isn't finished two weeks after that, I will ask my mom.
I didn't think you needed to do water changes with a fishless cycle. Thats what someone told me.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

No water changes with fishless cycling
Cycling can take 4-8 weeks
IMO the products to help cycle are a waste of time and money
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #10 
a123andpoof

Yeah, I have read 2-8 weeks for a 10g. But anyways I won't put anything in there other then ammonia.
I do have nutracycle stuff. Its something I put in my other tanks if I clean everything. So I have some on hand should I maybe put that in there?