Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Fin Rot

Ryo has fin rot that I have been treating. He is in a 1g bowl with heat. For 10 days I put salt in the water and did 100% water changes. The fin rot is still there, but I think it improved a little. What should I do next. He doesn't have salt in his water now. Just conditioned tap. Should I continue with the salt or wait a few days?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #2 
Allenbetta

Have you heat up the water while salt-bath?? And does it eat the food you dropped?? When betta is sick,made the temperature up is core issue and important. Also,if Ryo does eat the food you have dropped,do not need the salt-bath anymore.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

His water stays about 75-78 f. Thats about the temp the tetra heaters go. For some reason they don't get any warmer for me. And he eats just fine. He has always just eaten fine. I was just wondering if I needed to do anything else, or just try and let the fins heal themselves.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Keep up with the 100% daily water changes for now and also keep the water temp at the level you have it at, bacteria thrive best in warmer water and you want to keep bacteria low.
If the Betta has an advanced stage of fin rot you may want to use a broad spectrum antibiotic.
You can repeat the 10d salt treatment after 5 days off and you can also increase the amount of aquarium salt to 2tsp/g, I use up to 3tsp/g in some cases....just depending on what and why I am treating and when it was caught.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote