Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #1 
Betta Slave

Unhappy Should I be worried about her?

I brought hom a new female yesterday, the one in my avatar.
And recently, she's been very quiet. (You know what I mean lol.) I DID find her in her cup at the bottom, resting, and had to gently bump her cup to make sure she was alive or not. She did swim though.
She swims around a little and has eaten the two pellets I fed her this morning, but... I don't know... I'm just not used to quiet bettas. She spends most of her time in the back of the tank, behind the plants. However, she is getting some new colors on her tail, but she usually keeps her fins clamped.
Also, yesterday, I put a piece of almond leaf in there. It had been in there between 5 to 10 minutes before I realized it had a bit of mold, so I took it out promptly. She has shaken her head sharply a few times. Right now she just randomly darted around a little bit and bumped into the glass. It looked like she was trying to swallow something, the way she was moving her head. Is this normal? Should I do a water change? The water is still crystal clear, but I'm a little concerned about the almond leaf. (Don't tell my other bettas but... she's leaning towards being my favorite right now. I don't want her to die!!!)
Any help appreciated!
Thanks.
(Sorry for the long post! )

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #2 
Betta Slave

Bump:
Aah, she occasionally has little spasms! She shakes her head randomly and acts like she's spitting something out when she's not spitting out anything at all. Help?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #3 
Jayy

What do mean you say moving her head. Does she move like a jerk back or something else?Does she do it mean she's eating? I think she may be a bit shy and getting to know her new home.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Yeah, she jerks her head really quickly... No, she's not eating. Oldfishlady says parasites. I think she's right- Leela is acting really wierd and kind of scratching her gills on decorations.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

What size tank is she in? What's the temperature? Did you acclimate her when you put her in or did you just put her in?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

I just put her in, because she looked dreadful and was having a hard time breathing. I don't usually do this but I was afraid she was gonna die, she looked horrible! She looked better when I put her in the tank. She could breath more easily. The temp is around 80... and she's in a temporary 1 gallon.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Sounds like parasites to me.

Do 100% water changes daily for 10 days and add a t spoon of salt.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #8 
Betta Slave

Alright. Thanks guys :) I just did a water change, going to add some aquarium salt now.

Update- I just put her in. She flapped her gills a few times and shook her head, then began swimming around. She looks much better already! And she unclamped her fins for me too! She's almost has the coloring of a butterfly! And she felt well enough to flare at the heater when I moved it around.
Thank you guys soooo much! ^-^

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 03:06 PM.