Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #1 
Betta Slave

Medications that would speed up parasite recovery?

Edit- Oops.. I mean recovery from parasites lol.
My betta, Leela, who I got yesterday, has parasites in her gills. She flashes a lot, and I could hear the bump as she tried to scratch her gills at the bottom of the aquarium. She is living in a temporary 1 gal. I did a complete water change, and added a teaspoon of aquarium salt. She is feeling much better- she is more active (even though she does flash), has gained some more color on her tail, and has even un-clamped her fins a few times for me, displaying some pretty pastel on her tail. Tonight, and until she gets better (with some breaks, of course) I'm going to feed her food soaked in garlic juice, and little pieces of chopped up garlic. I'm also going to do the water changes until she gets better, too, with a few breaks from the salt.
I'm just wondering, are there any medications out there that would speed up her recovery? There has to be SOMETHING....
Thanks. :)

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I believe you can buy anti-parasitic foods... it might be worth trying that. Try to keep her water as clean as possible but don't keep the salt in there for more than 10 days. The garlic will help.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #3 
Betta Slave

By don't keep the salt in there for more than ten days.. do you mean not use salt in her daily water changes for more than ten days? Like, take a few days break, then go back to using salt?
And I will definitely look for some anti-parasitic food, thanks :)
Old 05-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #4 
mfskarphedin

Actually eating the garlic is said to have antiparasitic properties, but I don't know if that's only for internal parasites. In any case, it can't hurt.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #5 
Betta Slave

I think they're internal parasites, because I can't see them. Would parasites on the inside of her gills be considered internal? Either way, worth a try!

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Prolonged use of salt can cause liver and kidney failure in bettas. Its best not to use it very often. When treating my fin rot cases I usually treat with salt and daily water changes for 10 days then just go back to a regular water change schedule. If salt for 10 days doesn't help then I look into alternate medications.

Honestly the salt probably isn't going to do anything to the parasite so unless she has fin rot or some other injury I'd probably nix the salt altogether.

The garlic should do the trick but it takes a while to get into the fish's system (about a month).
Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

Hmm. I'm not sure what to do about the salt.. since she has a parasite in her gills (is what I'm guessing, the way she tries to scratch them and cough them out) since she "breaths" the water, won't the salt get to the parasite? I've been told by another person to use the salt, so I am not sure what to do. And I've noticed, that since I added the salt, she's been active and looking better (though she still scratches her gills.)
I think I might use the salt anyway, just in case she might be developing an infection of some kind.
Thank you guys :)
Old 05-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

If she's developing an infection the salt will help. I try not to use salt whenever possible because eventually the bacterias that it helps to kill will evolve and become immune.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #9 
Betta Slave

Ooh. Okay, I won't use salt that often. I just know that bettas can die from infections left behind from parasites, or something to that effect. I want to make sure she gets no infections!
I'm just peeling some garlic for her to eat. How many pieces should I give her and for how long?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

What I would do is mash the garlic up really well until its sort of a paste. Take your pellets and mush them into the garlic.. then take that whole mixture and microwave for about 30 secons. Take some of the pellet/garlic mixture and feed it to her (the same number of pellets you usually feed) then put the rest in the fridge for later.

The garlic is going to take a while to take effect so your going to want to feed it at every meal every day.