Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #1 
darkangel216

Post New Tank

I'm looking at getting a 20g long tank and dividing it. I have everything I need except the tank, gravel, and filter. What would be the best filter for this size tank? I was thinking about getting the same kind of filter that's in my 10g, but the downside of that one is the current. Can't really slow the flow with a plastic bottle either. Any suggestions?
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #2 
mfskarphedin

Hmm, with a 20 long, you have about a million options for filtration. Since the tank is 36", I'd personally look at a very small canister filter, so you can take water in one end and output it at the other end, ensuring excellent circulation. You can also traditionally adjust the flow on them.

I have not tried this canister, or read many reviews (I will research if you're interested since researching equipment is a favorite pasttime,) but you might look at this little number:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/23234/product.web

Very inexpensive!

Ok, I'm going to go research it anyway, since I can't help myself, lol. Ok, here seems a good review thread.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=488

I'm going to look at the mentioned ZooMed canisters, but I think they're a lot more expensive? We'll see...

Last edited by mfskarphedin; 05-30-2010 at 07:48 PM.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #3 
mfskarphedin

Ok, for a few dollars more, the ZooMed 501 canister seems far superior. I like the internal media setup with the sponge first and the biological medium second. The tubing looks good, but you can buy longer if you need at a hardware store. Here's a great thread about this filter with lots of photos and tips:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...im-2211-a.html

Note, the Eheim brand is top-notch in quality, but very expensive in comparison, and the old style is a PITA to clean. I've had several...
Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #4 
darkangel216

Thanks for the info on these filters mfskarphedin, I'll definitly consider these as a possibility. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 
Learn To Fly

If it's a 20 long it should be 30" long, not 36"...

I have a Penguin bio wheel 150 or 200. It works really well, you might have to use a filter baffle though. I do have my PK in my 20 long (it's a community tank) and he doesn't mind the current but he doesn't have big fins and there's a lot of room to escape the current because it's not divided.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #6 
mfskarphedin

>30"

Oops. Well, a tiny canister would still be a good option!