Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #21 
LucyLoofa

How stark is the speed difference between males and females? The only female I've seen was a friend named Amber's betta. That girl was by her lonesome though and didn't swim much faster than little Gunther before he died. I haven't seen a sorority before but was considering starting one in December.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #22 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I think he's BEAUTIFUL! <3 I LOVE that coloring and he's a Half Moon! Pluss I like the big pectoral fins. I feel bad that it makes it harder for the poor little guy to swim though. =[
exactly my thoughts!

they look real pretty BUT if they dont like them then i dont either... dunno. tbh though they look happy and healthy... but i dont know if its true.. i do love the look though.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #23 
secuono

I have 4 females in a 12 gallon tank, they are very fast running from each other and to food. But they are also pretty quick just zooming around picking for food around the tank. They also bring their fins in an upright position much faster than males do. Betta swim a little then pause and their fins go up, then move forward and lay their fins down while they move.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #24 
1fish2fish

My long finned fish can swim just as fast as my girls can. As long as you keep your fish well conditioned the length of the caudle and anal fins shouldn't be much of an issue.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #25 
mfskarphedin

Not to go off-topic too much (uh, epic fail already, haha), but I'm a big goldfish fan, if you can't tell. :) Anyway, the orandas, especially the veiltails, can be quite delicate - prone to damage and infections of the hood, prone to fin damage and therefore rot, very prone to swimbladder disorders with any kind of infection or just "because," constipation, etc. I don't even have to get into the problems of telescopes, celestials, bubble-eyes, and lionheads (celestials and lionheads don't have dorsal fins, poor things!) Of course regular goldfish are much hardier, but Comets do have a greater chance of fin damage, like long-finned bettas. And if you've seen goldfish spawn, you'll know I mean about fin damage. :p

Anyway, I thought bettas were hardier, myself, until starting to haunt betta groups recently. Now I have a much better appreciation for how much more care they need than some of the more hardy tropicals! I have some loaches in their early teens, and I've got to tell you, despite their reputation, I can hardly think of a way to kill them except remove them from water altogether, lol.

Oh, and I had a betta sorority a few years ago, and those little buggers are quick! I did find them pretty, but they weren't particularly peaceful and relaxing like I find the males. If I get a Plakat or wild-type male, though, we'll see if it's the same. o.o
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #26 
Greynova27

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1275619423

This looks horrible, IMO
Greynova27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #27 
wallywestisthebest333

Unhappy

WOW. D8...],8 That's just horrible sad and awful blended together in a terrifying concoction. Poor little thing! </3 It seems like it'd be in major pain.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #28 
1fish2fish

That is definitely one I would cull or adopt out if she has a fully functioning swim bladder. NOT something worth $25 at all.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote