Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #11 
2boys2fish

This fish is a glutton. I tried an algae wafer again. The snail went right past it like it was just a lump on the bottom of the tank. The fish quite enjoyed it. I had to remove it because he was beginning to gorge himself again.

I swear this fish is not starving, y'all. He gets pellets or live treats twice every day.
2boys2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Don't mess around with cuttlebone to change the hardness abs effect the pH until you know what your current GH, KH and pH are. Raising hardness (and pH) with minerals and lowering the pH with tannins is an inexact process. Though tannins, like in IAL, are generally good for the fish.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-10-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #13 
hopeful fish

You can also test the hardness of the water. Hard water generally has a lot of calcium in it, so snails don't need as many supplements.
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #14 
2boys2fish

The only test that came in my water kit was pH. (And ammonia, nitrites, nitrates...). I will check the ph tomorrow.

Today the snail was moving around more than normal without the zucchini in there. Since I'm a giant pushover and I knew what he was looking for, and he was just all over searching and searching all day, tonight I tried fashioning a temporary divider out of plastic craft mesh and report cover binder bars. I just wanted something to hold long enough to keep them seperated so the snail could eat for a while. I sat down and watched tv and I happened to glance over at the tank about 45 mins later to find that the glutton zucchini betta swimming around on the snails side, as if he had been there all along, just helping himself to zucchini.

I can't even with this fish. Now at least I'm fairly certain that putting both betas in with a divider is out of the question.

In other news, the tank that I *thought* has cycled finally showed some nitrite readings today, so I guess we still have a ways to go on the cycling.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You might try putting the snail and zucchini in a cup for a few hours. Or covering the snail and food with a glass to keep the fish out.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #16 
Pandanke

It is definitely true that all of that veggie matter is not good for a bettas primarily carnivorous digestive system. Unfortunately, my community guy really loves the Cory sinking wafers, as well... actually, I think he actually believes he is a Cory, but that is beside the point.

Probably your best option is to selectively feed your snail and do it less frequently. Leave algae rocks in there for him, but no more zucchini than once per week, and remove it if you see the betta primarily feasting. Truthfully, you can get away with feeding the snail a nice feast only 2 times a week, 3 if he is very beggy and keep him in good health.
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #17 
2boys2fish

i, um...i don't know how to tell you guys this but I, er... I bought more snails.

I just can't get enough of them.

the pH of the tank is 7.4

Also, I'm trying blanched romaine lettuce and carrots, so we'll see how it goes.

As for the betta, well, he is having the time of his life. He was always the more sociable fellow, and he keeps going from one snail to the other to stare at it, and hiding under the lettuce leaves for fun. He's really really happy.

I also have 3 ghost shrimp in a bowl, and I will add them after I get some more plants and add the substrate and soil to plant this tank out. Then I will consider that tank complete.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #18 
2boys2fish

don't know why the original snail, (Escargo) keeps trying to ride on the shells of the other snails, though.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #19 
Pandanke

That would be because Escargo is male, and whoever he is trying to ride on is female, and if you don't keep an eye on your hood/above water line, you'll end up with about 60 babies every week.
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #20 
2boys2fish

Well then.

I'll keep the area above the water line scraped. He tries to ride on all of them. There are 4. Yeesh.