Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 
bettalover2033

!!!!!someone help i dont know whats going on!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME I WOKE UP THIS MORNING TO FIND MY BETTA VERY VERY BLOATED AND HE IS TRYING TO SWIM TO THE BOTTOM AND HE CANT STAY DOWN HE KEEPS FLOATING BACK UP TO THE TOP OF THE BOWL...WHAT DO I DO I DO????

HE HAS A big PROBLEM STAYING UNDER THE WATER...HIS BELLY IS BLOATED...HIS BACK IS OUT OF THE WATER. I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON?
PLEASE HELP HES MY FIRST BETTA AND I DONT WANT TO LOSE ANOTHER AND ADD TO THE R.I.P. LIST T_T =(

I HAVE PICTURES: IM CONFUSED WHAT HAPPENED??? HERE ARE THE PICTURES:
Attached Images

bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

How is the water temperature?
Same thing happened to my first betta because the water was too cold.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

water temp is room temperature and it is summer over here its 85* outside..any other observations?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Room temp doesn't necesarly means your water is at an adequate temp for your betta. I live in South Texas and temp during the day are above 90 degrees and still my bettas NEED a heater to keep at 78-80 degrees. Water temp drops a LOT at night without you even realizing.
My advice, get a thermometer and check your water temp.
Bettas get very lethargic when the water is too cold.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Hold all food for now, no food for at least 3 days and start making 100% water changes every day, it looks like you have him in a vase...right?
lower the water level to about half to give more surface area and to make it easier for him to breath.
If he is not better in 3 day after the 100% daily water changes and no food, you can try Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for at least 10 days.
Offer very small amount of food 1 time a day on day 4 of fast and then small amount every other day.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

thank you both

vilmarisv: i have him in the sun all day should that bring up the temp a little bit? because i cannot access a heater right now:(

Oldfishlady: i did not feed him today and i will not feed him until i see his belly goes down. is that okay?? alsoi put him in about a two liter vase because i didnt want him to struggle, and get stressed even more than he is now. so you said bring down the water level a little? why ?

and should i do a 100% water change right now??

please answer back i think hes gettin worse=( i feel so bad for him. i hope he feels better soon:(
Old 05-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I wouldn't put him in the sun all day. You'll cook him!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

By lowering the water level it will help him struggle less and in a vase due to the way they are made will give more surface area.

Good that you placed him in a smaller container, it will be easier on him without any filtration and easier to treat and watch him.

If he is getting worse I would go ahead and start the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes, make sure that the water temps are about the same with old and new water as well as dechlorinator if on city water supply.
I like to pre-mix my Epsom salt in a clean 1g jug and keep it in the same area as the fish to keep water temps close and this make dosage and 100% water changes easier IMO/E too.
Epsom salt will help reduce edema/swelling and work as a laxative
You may also want to turn the lights off or cover the vase with something so he has a low stress area.

Question: the swelling or bloat he has-is it just in the stomach area or is it his whole body and if so are his scales sticking up as if pinecone?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

vaygirl:not litterally ALL day for a good about of time??

Oldfishlady: what is IMO/E?? and no he is just bloated bad on his stomach.. i dont have epsom salt with me i have aquarium salt tho will that work? what does the epsom salt do??
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-In my opinion and experience

Epsom salt reduces swelling, works as a laxative, has antibacterial/fungal properties and live plant safe

Espom salt and aquarium salt are not the same and do different things-both are great for short term treatments IMO/E......