Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #11 
bettalover2033

aww im sorry but that sounds terrible for them have you ever thought of releasing them into the wild or a pond nearby or even the backyard on a tree?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

NO! you NEVER release animals into the wild. That is extremely harmful to the ecosystem, not to mention highly illegal.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #13 
bettalover2033

ohhhhhhhhhhh kay im sorry that i suggeste it and i never heard of that being illegal...i know it is with other animals but a snail??? seriously how can that be sooo dangerous to the ecosystem? ((((really not meaning any disrespect here)))) how does releasing animals into the wild dangerous to the ecosystem? what does it do? the do it all the time on animal planet lol im sorry im being so ignorant right now please inform me:) again sorry:)
Old 05-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #14 
Learn To Fly

Because...these snails reproduce fast. They can eat the plants other animals need to survive. Many animals in pet stores are not native to the country that they are sold in. If you release them, they can take over just like honeysuckle does now. They will become an invasive species who can outproduce and overpower their native "neighbors".

I don't watch Animal Planet, except for very rarely, and I would assume that they are not releasing things like snails, fish and bearded dragons into the wild. They are probably releasing things like, say, an orphaned hippo that was raised with minimal human contact and is native to that area. If they were releasing, say, a frog, it might be a rare species that was bred in captivity and released. They were bred in a habitat as natural as possible with, again, minimal human contact (I read about this in a National Geographic). I could go on and on, but I won't. Then again, this is a TV show. You can't believe everything you see on TV. Those animals that they were "releasing" could have been raised by humans for the specific purpose of being "animal actors". After filming they would be caught again and probably would be used for other things.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

They can out-compete the native species killing the natural/native ecosystem

Introduce tropical disease, parasite, pathogens that the native species have no immunity to....killing the ecosystem

Protect our ecosystem....its our job.......we can save it or destroy it...with a simple release of a non-native species or a native species that has been exposed to pathogens that the ecosystem has no immunity to.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #16 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

Introduce tropical disease, parasite, pathogens that the native species have no immunity to....killing the ecosystem

Protect our ecosystem....its our job.......we can save it or destroy it...with a simple release of a non-native species or a native species that has been exposed to pathogens that the ecosystem has no immunity to.
Thank you Oldfishlady. That's what I was trying to say...and I only semi-accomplished in a more roundabout way XD.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #17 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn To Fly View Post
Because...these snails reproduce fast. They can eat the plants other animals need to survive. Many animals in pet stores are not native to the country that they are sold in. If you release them, they can take over just like honeysuckle does now. They will become an invasive species who can outproduce and overpower their native "neighbors".

I don't watch Animal Planet, except for very rarely, and I would assume that they are not releasing things like snails, fish and bearded dragons into the wild. They are probably releasing things like, say, an orphaned hippo that was raised with minimal human contact and is native to that area. If they were releasing, say, a frog, it might be a rare species that was bred in captivity and released. They were bred in a habitat as natural as possible with, again, minimal human contact (I read about this in a National Geographic). I could go on and on, but I won't. Then again, this is a TV show. You can't believe everything you see on TV. Those animals that they were "releasing" could have been raised by humans for the specific purpose of being "animal actors". After filming they would be caught again and probably would be used for other things.

okay thank you so much and im sorry lol:) i feel so stupid. but i didnt mean that i believed everything said on animal planet. also i did not even think about it that way...and what is "honeysuckle"? i never heard of it??

and when you said"" Those animals that they were "releasing" could have been raised by humans for the specific purpose of being "animal actors". After filming they would be caught again and probably would be used for other things.""

that makes a lot of sense:)

but isn't it cruel to just crush them because you dont want them. or just because they reproduce too fast...its not their fault.. humans are WAY over populated in many small and large places.. what if something was to crush us because we took over. (sounds senseless doesnt it?) ( i do understand what you mean about the ecosystem and everything but c'mon they deserve to be here too) ( also i know that there is nothing that is big enough to crush us by itself and its own mind) like besides an animal...Remember this isnt an arguement its a friendly discussion:) what do you think?? (coming from the guy that is talking from the point of vier of snails lol:P)
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #18 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

OFL i understand what you are both are trying to say its just that why do we have to just plain ol' kill them?

and i do believe in protecting our ecosystem. and i will do all of what i can to do so but i just dont like killing live creatures i absolutely despise it:/
Old 05-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #19 
Learn To Fly

There are actually many kinds of honeysuckle, what I was referring to was Japanese Honeysuckle.

"The Japanese honeysuckle (L. japonica) of eastern Asia has become a weed in many areas by growing over other plants and shutting out light. It has fragrant, yellowish white flowers and black berries."

Honeysuckle in general is "Any of various shrubs or vines of the genus Lonicera, having opposite leaves, fragrant, usually paired tubular flowers, and small berries."

And yes, I don't like killing them either. When I had snails I took them out when I saw them and put them in a jar of water with plant trimmings because I don't like killing them either. Eventually, I forgot about them because they weren't in my main tanks eating all my plants anymore and they did die. But I didn't crush them because I couldn't bring myself to.

And yes, I agree, we are taking over the world. I could talk for hours about how and why and what's going to happen but I won't XD
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #20 
bettalover2033

same here you helped me understand what you were defending and i helped you recognize what i was defending with was my point of view of the snails:)...also like you said about the crushing..i would never be able to do that i would feel bad for a very long time:) thanks tho 'learn to fly'