Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #1 
sjones

What would your dream divided ten gallon be?

I want to make one 10 gallon divided into two and I know nothing about cycling..but this forum has been so great to me so I have to ask you all..
Not having to do complete water changes every other day or few days for my critter keepers would be great and I'd like to give my guys more room as well.
I would like to have a planted tank-think aquascaping like the one saylor posted recently.
This would be a time consuming project and I am willing to spend months creating it.
So let's hear it forum, what filters, etc do you suggest, and what about cycling with live plants?
What would you suggest to buy/build :D?
Also would I have to have a cleaner in the tank? I don't really want shrimp, they creep me out, same for snails, etc but if necessary I will supply.

Last edited by sjones; 05-31-2010 at 06:52 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

This is my dream divided tank. It took me about six months to get it all together. I still want to add more plants eventually. I have 10 ghost shrimp in there with two male bettas and two mystery snails. Tetra 10i whipser filter and topfin 50 watt heater. 15 watt bulb.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Cyling with live plants is one of the best things to do. The plants help move the cycle along quicker.

I've personally liked the 10 gallon kits they sell at Wal-mart. The filter it comes with is pretty decent, the flow can't be adjusted though.. I've heard only good things about the Aquaclear line of filters too, plus they're adjustable.

Idk if you need a new heater or not, but I got a Marineland Stealth recently and it's amazing. The light is always on to let you know that it's working, red if it's heating, green if it's the correct temp.

Aquascaping, I got all my ideas from plantedtank.net. They're a great help with everything they even have a forum topic dedicated to scaping alone. Just looking will give you ideas but those pros over there can help you to if you join in.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #4 
sjones

1fish1fish, i love your tank, like the divider and it looks good in two, so the snails and shrimps are mandatory huh?
saylor, I am going to join that site for sure, I have and LOVE the marineland stealth! Mine doesn't have the lights on it though, curious.
I just can't figure out filters are undergravel filters a no-no these days? I had one like 20 years ago, I don't want a current though...
What about bubble curtains? they looks so cool, are they bad for bettas?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #5 
sjones

I also love this site! Aquascaping awards, some of these tanks are just unbelieve-able!
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Ah, that's probably because mine is a Stealth Pro.

IMO, I don't think underground filters are great. I don't understand how they work with just an air pump and and airstone.

Some bettas are fine with airstones/bubble curtains, other don't like them. Depends on your fish I guess.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

You don't have to have snails and shrimp. You can scrub algae off. Since your dividing the tank you can't put algae eaters like cory cats in there because they need to be in groups.. thats why I prefer the shrimp. Plus I think they're cute :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #8 
sjones

It's funny too that they can't make an unobtrusive heater, like all these great tanks have the same heater lol! I just think aquaruim decor could be bumped up a notch, there's a market for it yet pretty much everything I see if kinda pirate themed, you know, not very contemporary! or else not betta friendly.. I may have to go into designing my own line of betta decor..which would actually be awesome! Any investors here?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #9 
bloo97

My dream 10 gallon is Lucky on one side and Dragon on another. Lots of plants, hiding places, and tank mates! :P- **drool**
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #10 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
You don't have to have snails and shrimp. You can scrub algae off. Since your dividing the tank you can't put algae eaters like cory cats in there because they need to be in groups.. thats why I prefer the shrimp. Plus I think they're cute :)
oh really? i like cory cats-they are cute :(
Maybe i'm gonna end up with one HUGE undivided tank..
I promise I will check out the shrimp again, perhaps I am missing their cuteness...