Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #1 
kuklachica

What should I do with this guy? Ideas?

So my black copper boy, Noche, is driving me nuts. He has been in my divided 6.6 gallon tank (which is another whole story because it SUCKS). Well, Noche is the most easily stressed fish I have every seen. If there is another fish on the other side of the tank, he has stress stripes all the time. If the water flow is just a tad too much, stress stripes. If someone looks at him, he hides. Well, because of his stress, his immune system has become run-down and he has developed fin rot. I've taken him out of the tank and put him in a hospital critter keeper. I've added jungle fungus clear and aquarisol. I've found some fungus on him around his gill area on and off, but not every day. He is eating fine and acting normal (skittish). His fuzzies are looking better today and can only barely see some of them on the tip of his tail.

But, my question is, what do I do with him once he gets better?? I have 3 tanks up and running now - 10g divided 3 ways, 15g divided 4 ways, and a 3 gallon. I am going to get rid of the 6.6 gallon because it is just terrible. So that leaves me with Noche in a critter keeper, which I'd rather not have. And I can't add him to a divided tank if I were to replace the 6.6 gallon because he'd get too stressed. I am considering adopting him out locally since I don't think he'd make the trip in the mail to someone out of state.

What do you guys think?? Or is there someone on here willing to give it a try and have me mail him to you? I just don't know what to do. I feel bad because I am not as fond of him as I am of my other guys since he is so skittish and not friendly. Am I a bad fish mom?

BTW, he is the one in my avatar.

Last edited by kuklachica; 05-30-2010 at 02:44 PM.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

The first thing I thought was...GIVE HIM TO ME!!haha :P I would love to take him but I don't have anymore room. :( You aren't a bad fish mom at all, don't think like that! Some bettas are just like that and you're doing the right thing asking if someone else could give him a try.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Your not a bad fish mom... some fish just don't work out. I wish I could take him but I'm up to my ears in tailbiting and popeye right now. Good Luck. If I have a spot open up I'll let you know :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

I was planning on giving my cousin the 2.5 gallon, but my aunt is letting me give him the 10 gallon so I'll still have an extra 2.5 around. If you can't find him a home and think he'll do alright being shipped to IL and in a smaller space, I can take him.
I'd totally understand if you didn't want to as I haven't had good luck with bettas lately. X/
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #5 
metalbetta

I'd love to take him, but I'm not sure where I'd put him! At the moment all my space is taken, but if I find a place/can afford another tank, I'll let you know, just keep me posted!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 AM   #6 
Maryrox247

Oh i wish i could have him! ( my empty one gallon is saying put him in me!) And your anAWESOME fish mom for the record.I bet he will find a good home! And hey, you love him a lot and you did your best! Good luck!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

I had a very bad experience in my first attempt at dividing tanks.
I placed my gorgeous DTHM in a 5 gal divided with a new HM guy.
My DTHM was very stressed out, so much that he ate his fins. I tried putting more layers of separator so they wouldn't see eachother but it didn't work. He was still very stressed and nibbling his fins.
I had to completly remove him from the tank :(
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Fish have excellent hearing, so when it comes to a stressed fish no amount of cover is going to help because he can still hear the other male. I'd wager he can also smell the other male as well.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I just lost my CT male this morning. :( I think my waters too hard for them because I don't have good luck with them. My dad got me him when he went to a pet store by himself and he had no idea. He was eating and everything, very vibrant in color...I woke up and found him on the bottom. :( So, I have an empty 2.5G and I'd put him in a corner where his tank isn't near anyone elses so he wouldn't see another fish. I don't know what state you're in, I live in CT. Just thought I'd let you know that I have an extra opening. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #10 
kuklachica

Thank you everyone for your support. I am going to try to adopt him out locally so as not to put him through the stress of shipping. I've had someone PM me interested in him, so if I can't find someone locally I will ship him to her. BettaxFish, I'll put you next in line since you're closer than Saylor (I'm in Maine). Thank you guys for your offers!! My husband keeps telling me I'm giving up on one of my fish and doesn't want me to get rid of him. Argh, I feel so bad! :(
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote