Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

What should I do?

At my walmart there is a female who has been there for over 3 weeks. Mostly cause she isn't that pretty. But I kinda like her problem is if I can convince my mom to let me get her, she would go in a divided 2.5g till Ryo moved. Then she would go in a 1g bowl. The bowl is heated, and she is small, but I kinda figure if I don't take her, no one probally will. So what do you guys think? I can easily care for one more, although I am going to be gone a bit in June and July. But someone will be able to care for them while I am away.
Also I have read bettas can go about 5 days without food. So does that mean their water wouldn't need to be changed either? Even if its in a 1g bowl? My grandpa will probally be watching the pets, and I don't want him to have to care for the fish to much. Just feed them once or twice if I will be gone for more then 5 days.
And this is kinda far into the future but we will be gone for 7 days in like sept. And Im not sure what to do about my fish then. What would you suggest?
Sorry for such a long post. Just kinda wanted to know your suggestions for that while i am away.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #2 
beta novice

they have food tablets for beta's to feed while your gone i have had a dissolveable food tablet thing for my other fish
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

They can be left for 7 days but if you can get someone to feed them once or twice during that period then that will work, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #4 
beta novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta novice View Post
they have food tablets for beta's to feed while your gone i have had a dissolveable food tablet thing for my other fish
use my idea
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I wouldn't do the food tablets, I've heard bad things about them. They can survive the 7 days without food, but like DQ said, if you could get someone to feed them at least once or twice, that'd be better.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #6 
beta novice

theres nothing bad about them
Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #7 
Zenandra
Banned

Those dissolving food things can pollute the water really badly! I would never use them! They'll be fine up to a week or so without being fed!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #8 
JKfish

Betta Novice: In a one gallon tank, the feeding tablets would pollute the water very badly, and there is a chance the betta won't even eat it.

123andpoof: You can leave your betta without food for a week. Once, a teacher at my school accidently left her school-betta for 2 weeks without food during a school break. The betta was fine, just very hungry after the break. Your betta will be perfectly fine.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #9 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Betta Novice: In a one gallon tank, the feeding tablets would pollute the water very badly, and there is a chance the betta won't even eat it.

123andpoof: You can leave your betta without food for a week. Once, a teacher at my school accidently left her school-betta for 2 weeks without food during a school break. The betta was fine, just very hungry after the break. Your betta will be perfectly fine.
Thats so horrible how could the teacher do such a thing!
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #10 
doggyhog

Don't use the feeder blocks. It's not a good idea and clouds up the water real fast. Plus I don't even know if the bettas would eat them.

Bettas CAN and DO survive for 2 weeks without food, so they will be fine. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote