Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #1 
secuono

Upgraded 10gal

Yesterday, I bought some sealant and cleaned out Kyle Jr.'s & Amai's 10 gallon tank. I relocated the plants to other tanks and rinsed out the sand. Then scrubbed the glass and dried it out. Spent a good hour measuring, taping, cutting, trimming and placing the divider. Then I applied the silicone, making sure it went through the divider holes from each side. I then let it sit for about an hour before I removed a few of the tape strips. About 8 hours after silicone was added, I removed all the tape and left it alone.
Today, around noon, I rinsed the tank and silicone several times. I then added the rocks, to give the plants a deeper sand bed, until I can buy more and to make it more interesting. Next came the sand and then an inch of water over the sand. I moved the tank from the kitchen, where I was doing the renovation, and placed the tank back in it's spot next to the other small tanks. I slowly filled the tanks up so not to disturb the sand. Eventually the heater and filter were turned on. Once filled, I left the tank for about 2 hours before moving the Betta back into their homes.
The other two Betta were very glad to get their sections back! They swam all over and were very cheery.
So now, here are the pics, Unfortunately, my cameras battery was charging while I was working, so pics of the process will have to wait until I do the other tanks. One thing I learned though, is not to bother with tape, I was careful not to make a mess. The tape just made bits of it loose to have cut off later. I'll be glad not to have those two steps in the way next time around.
This is basically what the tank looked like before the change, this is the 2nd 10 gallon I still have to upgrade.

This is my 20 gallon long that also needs to be upgraded to better dividers.

This is the 2nd 10 gallon while it held all 4 Betta for the duration of the upgrade.

Here is the finished tank before the Betta went in.

And with their inhabitants.

secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #2 
darkangel216

Awesome looking tank!
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #3 
secuono

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very nice tank!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #5 
secuono

Here are pics of the 2nd 10 gallon getting it's divider. I should of done a better job documenting it, but I have a 20gal long still to do.

When I do the 20gal, I will need more dividers, so here I am making 2 sections for the 2 males that live divided from the girls. You can see how I am hoping they will be placed for the 24 hour cure.

This is the 1st 10gal that is finished and the 2 Betta in jars until their home is ready!

This is where the sand is, there's benifitial bacteria in there, so that is why I have water in the bucket too. I rinsed out the sand in each tank while I upgrade them. The run-off is black, why? Because of those "dangerous black gas pockets." They arn't though, at least in my experience. It's caused by decaying plant matter in the sand, and that is where the black water comes from. I just wanted to freshen up the sand a bit. ^.^

Here is the Silicone I got from Wal-mart, $5-6 I think.

In a 10 gallon, I first find the middle which is 10 inches. I tape the divider in place to keep it from moving.

I make the silicon-ed area 3 finger widths.

Make sure the silicone goes through the holes and mixes together.

Here you can see 4 of the 5 silicon-ed spots. I used about 4-5 finger widths for the bottom.

I trimmed the bottom corners so they fit where the tanks corner has silicone. I also trimmed the top to make everything fit snug and not loose with gaps. I fill all my tanks to the very inner rim, so I had to make the divider as tall as the outer rim.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #6 
bloo97

Nice!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #7 
secuono

Here is the finished 2nd 10 gallon tank. I wanted to wait until tomorrow to do the 20 gallon long, but I am thinking I should just go for it and get it done today.

Here are both 10gal tanks finished!