Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

My AMAZING craigslist find

I about had a heart attack when I saw this on craigslist...a standard 75 gallon aquarium being sold by someone 20 minutes from where I live, for $25!!!!!! I emailed them, hopefully nobody else got to it first! It was used to house guinea pigs but I'll just be careful to clean it really really well. I don't have a stand or anything, but I'm not really in a huge hurry to set up such a tank; I just think it would be fantastic to have in the future for when I've had a bit more experience with fish keeping.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #2 
CodeRed

WOW. VERY nice find. Yeah, just be VERY thorough when cleaning it out, and make sure it can actually hold water. Sometimes reptile tanks, that look exactly like fish tanks, don't hold water, and crack.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Yeah, I told the seller that I would use it for fish so it definitely needs to be able to hold water. I guess I'll see!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I left a 75 gallon on the curb last week for free. I had to move and couldn't sell it by the time I left the old house. Someone got a smokin deal on that one :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #5 
mfskarphedin

If you get it, and it doesn't hold water, it's easy to re-caulk it. Use GE Window and Door II silicone caulk, which is non-toxic. And while the old caulk is removed, that would be a great time to scrub, scrub, and disinfect!

http://beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Aquarium.html

Hope you get it! I missed out on an Eclipse 3 hood a few days ago for FORTY BUCKS! Arrgggh!!!
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

Ugh the people who I recruited to pick it up with me bailed. There's no way I can go get a tank that weighs more than I do on my own. Sadly I'll have to miss out on this one. :(
Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Well that sucks. I'd still try to convince someone to make the trip with you to pick it up. 9 out of 10 times the people selling it will be willing to help carry it out to your car or truck.

Me and my bf carried mine down 2-1/2 flights of stairs to bring it outside from the attic. It wasn't that bad.

Hope you can still get it.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #8 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfskarphedin View Post
If you get it, and it doesn't hold water, it's easy to re-caulk it. Use GE Window and Door II silicone caulk, which is non-toxic. And while the old caulk is removed, that would be a great time to scrub, scrub, and disinfect!

http://beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Aquarium.html

Hope you get it! I missed out on an Eclipse 3 hood a few days ago for FORTY BUCKS! Arrgggh!!!
I sold my whole Eclipse 3 for $35.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #9 
Hermitpaws

I just got a 55 gal for $30.00 from a friend. and don't know where to put it!!!!
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #10 
mfskarphedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
I sold my whole Eclipse 3 for $35.
An Eclipse 3 tank and an Eclipse 3 hood are different. I know, how stupid can they get with naming???

The tank, as you know, is three gallons with the light and filter in the hood. The hood fits on a 30" x 12" glass tank, light and filter also. Selling no less than $110 new online, and I've seen some places trying to get $50 more than that for it.

I decided to go for a UGF in that tank, anyway. It's on the bottom shelf of a double-tank stand, no room on the back for a hang-on filter, too low for a canister. I have the light hood, anyway.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote