Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #1 
betta G

Help with betta/ tank size

I resently went to a fish shop and was told that a 2.5 gallon tank was ok for a betta,i was also told that i could have more fish with him so i got 3 minows and 3 dinios which i was told was ok .I also got some real plants.is this to many fish in this tank.i have seen that people say that minows and dinios will nip the betta fins? ive not encountered this problem yet.my betta seems happy might i add.
betta G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Well, 2.5 gallons is way to small for that number of fish. Usually pet stores don't know what they are talking about. I would take the Danios and minnows back.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #3 
betta G

I was thinking this.i hope there isnt a problem taking them back to the store.
i dont think i can make it back to the store for a few days so i'll have to take the mins and dans out to allow the betta to have space.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Pet store employees are idiots! XD I can't believe he/she said that! I would remove the other fish right away and take them back. If that person is there when you take them back, I'd have a talk with him/her. For a community tank (adding other fish with a betta) you need a 10G tank or more.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #5 
betta G

hello. i took the 3 minows and 3 dinios back today and he apoligised for giving me fulse infomation.i got a new fish for my tank which is a male dwalf gourami so i have 2 fish in the tank rather than 7.already my betta seems happier and the gourami is looking happy to. will post a picture when i work out how to .
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

A 2.5G is way too small for 2 fish. You should only have the betta in there...the male will likely kill the gourami because he doesn't have much room and they are VERY territorial fish.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #7 
betta G

they both seem pretty happy and swim close to eachother .the betta hasnt flared up or acted aggressive aganist the other fish.it cant be any worse than when i had 3 minow and 3 dinios in there. i'll see how it goes and if i even hint that something is wrong then i'll seperate them.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #8 
beta novice

your crazy there from the same family they both have labyrinth oragans plus gourami's are huge fish
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #9 
betta G

hello .what diffrence does it make if there both labaryth fish?.the gourami is a bout 2 inches and the betta is a bout 2.5 inches.they both can live in fresh water at the right temp.i cant see the problem.please do let me know if this is wrong as im a beginner with fish.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #10 
kpullen89

I've heard of a good rule for tank size and I follow it.. you should have 1 gallon of water per 1 inch of fish. So if you have 2 fish that are around 2.5 inches..you should at least have a 5 gallon tank. I'm not so sure those 2 types of fish can be tank mates anyways..but thats just me.
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote