Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #1 
cnizzle06

New Betta Owner

Hey guys, so my girlfriend got me a Betta fish for my birthday and I had a few questions. First and foremost, is mine a boy or girl? Also, it looks rather lonely in it's tank so I was considering getting something else. What other fish are compatible with it? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

(Also, although the camera doesn't show it, it's a dark blue)

cnizzle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #2 
Allenbetta

That just does it,nothing more. Be sure check the water periodically.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #3 
Betta Slave

Welcome to the forum! :D
That's a lovely male veiltail you have there.
I've never kept fish with bettas before, as they're extremely territorial. However, many people on the forum have. They must be kept in larger tanks, though- what gallon bowl is that? I wouldn't keep fish in there because it looks a little small, maybe a snail or two or three. They get along with shrimp, snails... other members can tell you more.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #4 
jeanclaudeasher

I have one 10 gallon tank that my male betta shares with 3 neon tetras and 2 glass catfish. I have had one betta that was a bully with the other fish (he is now in a 2 gallon tank by himself).
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #5 
cnizzle06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Welcome to the forum! :D
That's a lovely male veiltail you have there.
I've never kept fish with bettas before, as they're extremely territorial. However, many people on the forum have. They must be kept in larger tanks, though- what gallon bowl is that? I wouldn't keep fish in there because it looks a little small, maybe a snail or two or three. They get along with shrimp, snails... other members can tell you more.
I'm not really sure, if I had to guess, I'd say it's a 2-gallon bowl? Unfortunately, I don't have the room for anything bigger, which is a shame cause I really wanted to put a catfish or an algae eater in there with it
cnizzle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #6 
Betta Slave

Yeah, I'm afraid there isn't any room for any other fish. But you could put a small snail or two in there- just be aware that they cause more of a mess.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #7 
Zenandra
Banned

Just by looking at the bowl compared to the betta I'd say it's 1 gallon max. Bettas love plants to hide in and play with, little caves to explore. An empty bowl like that will get boring quite fast! Do you know what the water temperature is? Bettas need to be in water thats between 76-84 degrees F. There's no way you can get a bigger tank? A 2 gallon hex won't take up much more room then that little bowl and then you'll have a light, more room, space for a small heater and space to get him a friend. I would recommend and Oto Catfish!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #8 
Alienbetta1
Banned

You can keep a couple neon tetras in and hes a Male Veiltail.:)
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #9 
Zenandra
Banned

Tetras need a filter. There is nowhere to put s filter in a tank that size! The general rule with small fish is 1 inch of fish per gallon. So for a male betta and 2 tetras you would need at least 4-5 gallons. It's also not recommeded to keep bettas with tetras since tetras can be notorious fin nippers!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #10 
abysssolider

hummm im also a new owner well going to be (i have to clen my room for it) But id gets some plants for it cause they love to hide in the leaves and caves! ^^ WHich also comes to that if you can get silk plants the plastick ones will tear the poor thing's tail and fins D: to test them run them over nylons or pantyhos if they snag they will tear your fishes tail.

But also i would get a variety of food like paletts and blood worms(only used for treats nothing more) fish love variaty sooo get him quite a few cause he might get bored with just one :/ and also fast him.

As in skip a day of feeding i know it sounds cruel but I heard and read that it gives the little guy's digestive tract time to umm what is the word im looking for...ummm start over restart?

Not only that when you clean the cage with yours id say clean it every 2-3 times a week and dont dump all of the water out. Only do 25-50% water drain and then add the rest. I fyou still have the cup keep it you may store your little guy in that while you do with its takn water. And after that dont put the fish in right away if the cup can let it float with the fish in it so it gets used to the water. Then gently put your little guy in!

which comes to another thing dont catch your fish in the net it will raist stress for the poor guy catch it in the cup it came in (if you have it). and I think thats it of coarse there is some more stuff but im going to leave it there so others can put in their penny of advice! ^^

good luck! and what are you goign to name him? :3
abysssolider is offline   Reply With Quote