Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #1 
XrAdEr

Smile Is Freeze Dried blood worms good

i bought these http://www.americanaquariumproducts....bloodworms.jpg at a petstore and was wondering if they are better than the frozen ones. (ones in a cube)

The ones in this can are pretty big for my bettas mouth. He keeps eatting it and spitting it out (repeat)..are these for bettas? O_o or can i just break the worms in smaller pieces?

Thanks in advance!
XrAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #2 
Elsch

I use freeze-dried ones too. I bought them since I heard on here that bloodworms can be used like a treat for them.

my guy used to spit them out, but I think it's because he wasn't familiar with them. now, he enjoys them every once in awhile.
Elsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #3 
XrAdEr

oh..does ur fish just bite them and eat it without spliting it out? Cause the worms looks kinda big for its mouth
Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #4 
FuulieQ

I'm not sure, but I've heard that freeze-dried worms can cause intestinal blockages. Might want to research that. Just in case, I bought my boy some frozen ones as a teat. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 AM   #5 
XrAdEr

oooohhh okay thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #6 
Venom

One of my guys wouldn't eat them, he seems to think he's above freeze-dried foods and prefers live brine shrimp, the spoiled brat.

All of my other fish love them, though not as much as frozen bloodworms. Just make sure you rehydrate them to prevent bloating. My other betta even jumps to snatch them out of my hands.

I prefer to feed the frozen ones, but when I don't have time, the freeze dried ones work well. Your guy might be spitting it out because they're too big for his mouth. You can break it in to smaller pieces, I used to do that for my guppies. Or, he might just be a finicky betta too. ;)
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #7 
Zenandra
Banned

Just make sure you're only feeding the freeze dried BWs as a treat! Meaning every 3 days or so! They can cause constipation, Intestinal blockages and swim bladder problem when fed too often! My guys tolerate freeze dried but prefer the frozen much more, and I think the frozen is better for them, more natural!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #8 
Allenbetta

But the frozen red worm polluted the water very quick. I would think the red worn food as treat,don't feed the betta too much of it.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #9 
abysssolider

what they said give your fish variaty so your fish wont get bored of the food i wonce had a betta when i was really young and i only fed him pellets and he got bored of them and poor thing never really ate it went on for the next two months befor he died :( so yeah evey once a while give them those like once or twice a week?
abysssolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Freeze dried are fine as long as they are rehydrated. And as others have said, they should only be fed as a once or twice a week treat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote