Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #1 
betta325

Best way to clean my tank without harming Bettas

Today for the first time ever I found a little bit of algea in both my gallon tanks. I do not know what to do. Do I get snails, what kind of snails? Is their a chemical to put in the tank to kill it? Can I remove it with a tooth brush? Is the algea okay for the tank? Please help!

Bettas
Victor
Alice
betta325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Just wipe it away, with your finger or a sponge (clean) or something.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

How big are the tanks? How long do you keep the lights on for? Algae thrives in light so no more than 8 hours is recommended.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Some algae is to be expected and natural...... just part of the little ecosystem.
Most algae are harmless and can even make the tank look more natural and can have some benefits to a degree.
You don't want too much in the wrong places...like the front for viewing or covering decoration to the point you can no longer see them or covering live plants.
Often when you have massive algae in the tank it can mean too much or too little of something...usually it is related to either nutrient or light......
The best algae clean-up crew is you the hobbyist, the livestock that are known for eating algae don't eat every kind of algae we see in our tanks and some algae nothing will eat or enough to make a difference.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote