Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #1 
abysssolider

Question Going to be a new betta owner

Im going to be a new betta owner and i need help i need to know what to get...Im getting a fish bowl from my friend and i think its around 1 gallon? But other then that im not sure so please help me? I read most of the topics and all and listened to tips from my friend so i also have questions.

For one i used to have a betta but i was really young and killed him within the first month. Sooo for one

- Do you have to empty water out 20% and not 100%?
- how much do you change water
-how to change water so he isnt stressed
-what is the best to feed
-what sort of things should i get?
-should i get a heater?

and i would love for some other tips as well! ^^ thank you!
abysssolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #2 
smallvle

Hi! And welcome to the forum! A few people on here might tell you to get a bigger tank, but I kept both my betta's at some point in a 1 gal, so don't worry. : )

-you SHOULD get a heater, but, in a 1 gal, it can be hard to heat the water without boiling your fish. I used a Hydor Mini Heater for a couple of years and loved it, (it's $12-$14 at petsmart,) you just need to buy a decent thermometer ($2 at petsmart,) to keep an eye on the temp. The Hydor only raises the water temp 5 or 6 degrees above room temp, so you might have to experiment with where you put your bowl. (Water should be around 76-80 degrees F.) If this won't work for you, you might be able to use a lamp, but the water will get cold at night, because leaving the light on 24/7 will make your fishie bonkers!
-In my old 1 gal, I did 100% once a week and ended up with fin rot killing my first guy, Phin. So I would suggest a 20% water change every couple of days and poss. a 100% once a week, or a 100% a couple times a week, whatever is easiest.
- I net my guy, but even though it didn't used to stress him out, it has started too, so I'm going to try cupping him. Netting is where you catch them in a net and transfer them to another spot (putting him in the small cup he came in during water changes is fine.) Whlie cupping is using a small cup and scooping him out of the water; this is supposed to be alot less stressful, and less chance of a fin getting ripped.
-Pellets are more nutritious than flakes, but either will work. You can also give them bloodworms a few times a week for variety. I do pellets and flakes on different days. And if your fish doesn't take the pellets very well, try soaking them in tank water for 30 seconds first to soften them.
-Bettas like to hide, so they love a cave/ mug/ shelter and some plants. Just make sure that everything you put in there is SMOOTH! I've been dealing with fin issues because I was too cheap to buy a silk plant from the aquarium section at petsmart, and bought a plastic one instead. If you're not sure if something will hurt your fish, run it over pantyhose; if it rips/ tears/ or runs the pantyhose, it will rip your fish's fins.

Bettas are so much fun and have alot of personality. They love to flare at reflections of themselves (just not for more than a few minutes at a time,) and i've discovered they also love chasing laser pointers. : ) Feel free to post any questions, and remember, the only dumb question is one not asked! : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #3 
abysssolider

ugh thank you ill keep everything you said written down somwhere! ^^
Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #4 
smallvle

Lol! It's not that bad! I know it seems overwhelming at first, but have hope! It may not seem like it, but it's much easier to take care of a 2.5 gal ($14 at petsmart) with a filter. Then you only do 50% water changes once a week, and if you get a gravel vaccume (like $6,) you won't even have to take the gravel out and rinse it off...much easier!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #5 
abysssolider

lol yeah ill have to write it down somewhere like a shedual for him i did it for my other pets! ^^' hummm yeah ill have to get a bigger tank and a gravel vacume for the little guy when i get the money ^^'

but when chaneing the water and all that do you pour out 20% and then add new water back to the original level?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #6 
smallvle

It depends on if some water evaporated. In my tank, I can see a faint line where the water level used to be, or you can put a little mark on the outside of the tank of where you want your water level. then you just keep filling it to that level after taking out 20%. If you are just taking out 20%, you don't have to take the fishie out, unless he gets really stressed, you only need to take him out for a 100% water change.