Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #21 
nacho

A preview of many updates to come here! It's my Youtube video of his release into the tank. It's a bit boring to be honest, but it was a very special moment for Mr. Darcy and I.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #22 
zoragen

He's beautiful!
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #23 
Betta Slave

Gorgeous fishie! Congrats! :D
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #24 
Narnian

He is SO handsome. Wow, and major kudos to you for reading up for 9 months to properly care for him! Loving the fact he is in a 10 gallon and not a tiny betta bowl.

And OMG I spy a sponge filter! I was planning to get one of these also., Would you be so kind as to say how you like it? It is the Hydor 1, correct?

Also, if you have time to take a photo of the entire tank so I can judge how big the sponge is? Thanks heaps!!
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #25 
nacho

Thanks! I love him so much. He has a distinctly Darcy personality. You got it right, I do have a Hydro I sponge filter.

The filter works great. I can feel the slight suction of water when my hand gets near it. It's a gentle suction that my fish doesn't mind. This isn't the most recent picture of my tank (it was taken weeks ago before the extra plants and the fish), but I think you can get a sense of the scale with the heater and height of the aquarium in this picture:

I almost wish I got the longer sponge. Was it Hydro II? I don't recall, but it was like a hot dog rather than a hamburger, if you get what I mean. I think the length would let me utilize the space in the aquarium more efficiently. Other than that, I believe the filter is doing its job. It creates just a small amount of current in the surface - seeing that Mr. Darcy hasn't built a nest, it may be a tad too strong for a bubble nest to exist, but that's fine with me.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #26 
Narnian

Yep! It was the Hydro II.

The sponge on the II is probably bigger, though, so it would end up taking just as much, if not more space? Did you look into the Elite ones? That was the other filter I wondered about, but haven't found anyone that has it.

I've seen photos where people lay it horizontally instead, and thought it would be more easily hidden behind plants and such? Argh! Decisions decisions.

Anyways, sorry to totally hi-jack your thread with my sponge filter questions hehe. Thank you for your review on it, and if you know what the rough diameter of the sponge is (across), that would be useful too.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #27 
nacho

Oh yeah...Hydro II is probably even bigger than I. I haven't actually looked at the Elite ones. Are they more expensive? Because if they are, I just looked at the least expensive filters.

Very roughly, I measured the diameter to be about 3.25 to 3.75 inches. The height ends up being almost as tall as the viewable height of the tank. :) I'd suggest this filter for sure. I think you'll enjoy it.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #28 
Narnian

Thank you for the measurements! That helps TONS and I'll probably end up going with this filter. :) As far as price on the Elite, I think it's comparable to the Hydor I, so it's just a matter of preference.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #29 
sjones

What a great thread ! I love your fishie!!!!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #30 
Sizzlingtree

Talking Go with your gut!

Nacho,

Welcome to your Betta obsession!

My husband and I just got our first betta (and fish- ever!) a little less than 2 weeks back and I can tell you that the vast variety available when it comes to colors and fins can really overwhelm you. Just go with an open mind and pick what seems like the right fish to you.

Just make sure that the fish has clear eyes and is active and swimming around.

Our betta, Tika, got the cloudy eye disease (or is it bacteria) a few days after we brought him home but some Melafix and water changes got him back to his old self.

I love having a betta and I can't believe that we didn't have fish all these years. Since then we have spent another $ 200 in setting up a fresh water fish tank with a female betta and other peaceful fish. We go to get some fish and ghost shrimp this Friday and I am so excited. Our female betta will have tank mates and I don't know if she will like sharing her 15 gallon home- we shall see.

Good luck!
Sizzlingtree is offline   Reply With Quote