Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Feeling Overwhelmed...

So I've just been needing somewhere to rant so if no one responds that's okay haha. Ugh the next two days I have finals for my junior year in high school. chemistry and precalc are killing me! AHH then the SAT saturday morning :( then the ACT the next saturday. i need a 30 ACT to be able to go to college in fort collins (CSU) where i would love to go, but have to get at least a 30 to get a $10,500 scholarship each year since i dont live in state. then im not sure what i want to major in, would probably do biology, but would prefer marine biology but would also like to do some equine classes. but would also like to be an actress but not so sure that will happen haha. then overwhelmed with the fish as well. i'm up to 9 boys now which equals out to a 10 gallon, 5, and 29, all divided. then a 50 gal community fish tank with a 5 sorority included. my parents keep saying no more fish cause they cant and wont take care of then when i go off to college. and i could only take a 5 gallon possibly a 10 gallon to college which equals 3 bettas tops. AH! and i need to get my first job this summer but i'm scared to drop off applications because well i'm just shy that way. and i think the places i would like to work are in no need of new employees anyway. oh what else..? i would like to just have the 1 fish tank in my room (10 gal) with a bunch of guppies and 1 betta like what i started out my fish keeping with. but would have to buy guppies and get rid of lots of bettas. i feel bad wanting to have some of my bettas gone since i don't have the time really that they deserve with water changes, etc. but i'm not going to "flush them" like my sisters say i should... AH i just don't really know what to do. just need to get through saturday and hope everything will work itself out. Whew that felt good!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed...you have a good reason to be! For the SAT and ACT, just take your time and don't stress about it (I know it's easier said than done :P). I've heard that the ACT is a lot easier than the SAT. If you want to adopt your fish out, I'm sure people on here would gladly take one or two, myself included. And don't feel like you're a bad fish mom. Everyone gets overwhelmed and sometimes you need a break. We're here for you. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, you have a lot to deal with right now! I hope everything goes well for you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks guys! That really helps :) I've thought about adopting out some of my boys but for one I don't really have the $ to send them, and I really don't trust myself packaging wise to make sure they survive the trip. Hopefully once everything settles down I'll get the "fish craze" again! Haha
Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy

Ah, I was in your shoes last year, except no SAT.

It's better to just relax about your testing. If you do bad the first time around you can always retake them. They will always take your highest score so don't fret. Besides taking tests stressed never helps! A couple of my friends were stressed the first time taking it and it reflected in their scores. They eventually retook them and since they were more relaxed about it they got the scores that reflects their test taking ability. The ACT was easier than I thought, too.

You'll also find that college isn't as expensive as you think! I was surprised when I started looking into one of my favorite private college and freaked at the 42K/year price tag, but in total with aid, scholarships and the FAFSA, I don't even have to pay much other than books, supplies and like $1000 a semester. You may also find you change your mind. Lots of people did that this year especially after going to visit. Idk if you've gone or not, but it's a very valuable thing to do.

I also wouldn't be worried about dropping off your applications. Trust me, there is nothing weird about that...that referring to being responsible and trying to get a job for the time being. If it turns out though that you don't find a job (because I've recently been applying everywhere with no bites), you should at least volunteer somewhere. Volunteering goes a long way, especially with scholarships and college applications. Whether it's church, animal shelter, library, etc, etc it all looks good on paper. Or even working around the neighborhood is very good too, babysitting, housesitting, petsitting, as unappealing as it is mowing lawns. At the end of the day, money is in your pocket.

Good luck. :) Don't stress out too much, it all gets better. PM if you want to talk about anything too.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks SaylorKennedy. Yeah I'm planning to retake the ACT this fall after I have all summer to get through my "Cracking the ACT book" so I think it's just the stereotype of the SAT just looming over me haha. I'm actually feeling excited for college, I'm tired of the different "skill levels" I guess of other non driven people in high school, plus drama. So I'm excited to get out of that and on to something new. As for a job I think I'll drop off my resume to a local petstore I'd like to work at tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm also trying to volunteer at our local zoo, my sister is a main keeper so hopefully I'll get to help out there. Anyway thanks again for everyone's advice, it really helps! :)
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

College is a lot different from high school. I felt like I had more freedom. You might only have 2 classes one day and 4 or five the next day. You don't have classes straight through a whole day. So that makes it nice.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

((Hugs)) I'm sorry your feeling this way. Believe me, when I was in your shoes I felt exactly the same way. It all seems overwhelming but believe me its easier than it seems. Getting a jump on the SAT and ACT is a good thing and I highly recommend retaking it several times if you can.

I know how stressful having lots of bettas can be when your already stressed out. Just give it a little time and it should go away. If you do decide to give your fish up there are plenty of people that would be willing to take them. If you do decide to give them up feel free to send me a PM.. I'll help you figure how how much to charge for shipping and how to pack them etc.

It will get better. Just hold in there. If you ever have any questions about financial aid or anything, feel free to drop me a note. I'll try my best to help out :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Yay today was the last day of finals and I sqeaked out with all A's and 2 B's. :) So just SAT tomorrow so hopefully it'll all be good. Thanks so much guys you helped me pull through there! :)
Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with your SAT.