Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #11 
RussellTheShihTzu

Yep, my "jungle". Thanks for remembering. Hallyx calls it "Betta Heaven."
Attached Images

RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #12 
litelboyblu

Indeed! A betta heaven it is!!!!

Now please, hand the whole tank and plants over too me please!
litelboyblu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #13 
Pandanke

What a beautiful jungle, haha. I fear for the day I don't keep up my trimmings and mine turn into that... Although, do I *really* fear for it... or do I dream about it? :D
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #14 
Sathori

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I will take that tank, please and thanks :P I'm in love <3
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #15 
myexplodingcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Is that a 20 long? Maybe a 29? I thought it was so much bigger at first until I saw the AmmoAlert. XD The way you've done it up is really nice.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #16 
Litzi1964

Something else you might try in the winter is getting a livestock watering trough. Farm and Fleet sells sizes from 40 or 50 gallons all the way up to 300 gallons. They're made of a very heavy duty plastic designed to be outdoors all winter.

In my opinion much of the "classic" betta aggression we see is not inherent to the fish at all but it's a result of what humans have done to them. They manage to coexist with each other and other fish species in their native habitat. So I think the key is to move as far away from the betta-in-a-bowl and as close to their natural habitat as possible.

Annihilating potential mates is a very poor reproductive strategy. From a survival standpoint, aggression really only makes sense if you're a carnivorous predator or if you're trying to defend against those predators. Otherwise it's anti-survival.
Litzi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Remember that these fish have been bred for ages to do nothing but fight each other... the "natural" habitat of the domestic B. Splendens is a small murky pond in youth, later transferred to a jar... There is a disconnect between a wild animal and its domesticated version, they can't be compared to each other...
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #18 
aselvarial

I don't think betta splendens are anymore "natural" than my dog is. Sure, she COULD be a wild animal, and is descended from one, but I wouldn't treat her the same way I would a wolf. Betta splendens are NOT the wild betta. I seriously doubt they could survive in the wild long-term.
That said, a big enough area would probably let them react differently than they would in a smaller tank. And there is no other male, so no one for the male betta to have to compete with for breeding rights to the two females. Interesting experiment.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #19 
bwywbi

I have kept betta for about 10 years and have had some success with keeping a male and several females together in a well planted community tank before. I moved several times the last few years and only kept planted tanks until about 4 months ago when on a whim we bought 3 females and a male from several local pet stores. We introduced them all at the same time into a 55 gallon tank (only other fish are 3 albino plecos) and they lived completely at peace until about 2 weeks ago.

I saw the crowntail female and the male wrapping under the tiniest of bubble nests and I guess they were successful because we have several fry. There are probably many more but the tank is so planted there are few spots for me to see. The best thing is that the female is just as invested in the care of the fry as the male. She chased away the middle ranking female from a free swimming fry and caught the said fry in her mouth. I assumed she ate it but instead she swam to the male on the other side of the tank and deposited it there! It was the coolest thing to watch. Of course at that point the male just looked at it and I could practically see him shrug as the fry swam off into the java moss.
Now all the females ignore the free swimmers and the same female has had another batch of eggs!

This is completely new experience and I'm waiting to see if there is aggression because I don't want the 2 lower ranking females to get hurt. I have another tank I can move them to but I don't want to leave just 2 females in a community by themselves.

Well this was a really cool experiment that I would never have set up on purpose but like I said, I've never had a spawn before that I didn't specifically set up. I hope you have the same luck when you move yours to your 55 gallon too.
bwywbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #20 
RussellTheShihTzu

Jungle tank is a 20 long.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote