Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #1 
Joeline7

Betta is not acting himself

My male Betta is not acting his active self. He is just hanging around the bamboo plant doing nothing. I had to wake him this morning to feed him. He usually dances around and gives this feed me attitude but today he was lying on the bottom of the bowl. He usually attacks the pettet food but today he just ate slowly.
I performed a partial h2o change yesterday, which he's not used to. I took some of his water and put it into a smaller vase along w/ him. Then I cleaned the vase and stones and added water that has been setting ready in a 4 gal. bucket. Then I added the water from the small vase and put him back in. Last night he was very active. Today he just mopes around. The chemistry is good. The ph was at 6.8 though. I added baking soda to increase it. Could he just be stressed or could he be injured inturnally from the transfur? What could be wrong w/ him. I've had him a while and he's the best male Betta I've had. Full of life and energy.
Joeline7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #2 
roadrunner

Just wondering if this was the first time you added soda. PH changes may be reason why is acting this way. I would suggest to keep PH way you get it from the tap water when you change the water.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #3 
Joeline7

I always add baking soda to my well water. It is 6.0 before adding it. He was acting funny before I added it. I tested him and fed him a pellet around 4:30pm. He kept taking it and spitting it out until it fell to the bottom of the vase. I will check him in the morning and see him he can eat. I hope he pulls through what ever he is going through. Right now he is sleeping. He got up and went to the surface a minute ago.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #4 
Joeline7

I would put some photos up but It is giving me trouble.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #5 
Allenbetta

Wait a few days,has he not eat the food,then something fish is going on.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #6 
Joeline7

He died last night. .
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #7 
roadrunner

I'm sorry to hear that :o(
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #9 
Joeline7

Thanks. Witaker was the best male Betta I've had. He was full of energy and actually enjoyed seeing the human. Just due to his wanting food every time he saw a human. He never showed off his dewlap to act tough. He caught my eye one day and I just couldn't say no. I brought him home that day. He was Yellow w/ red speckles all over his long beautifully flowing fins. The clearest blue eyes. He was one of a kind. I've only ever really attached to two out of 6 or so Bettas I've had. The other died due to being egg bound. She was on a diet of Tublefix worm blocks. I hand fed her on a daily basis. Her stomache swelled every few wks. w/ all these tiny eggs.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #10 
bettaowner101

Aww poor thing I am so sorry. Yeah, my last betta that lived for a long time and the one before that always got excited and happy when they saw me come up to the tank. It is very sad when Beta fish go because I swear each one has their own personality.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote