Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #11 
vaygirl

Welcome! I agree about trying the hikari pellets. All of mine eat them. Though Whiskey wouldn't eat for the first couple days. They also sell a mini pellet which is good for smaller bettas if that seems to be a problem for him.

You could try frozen bloodworms too and frozen mysis shrimp. Most pet stores will have them in the freezer. At least then they're not dehydrated. I use tweezers to feed these to all my fish occasionally (well, my puffer gets them every day).

Just watch for bloating. His stomach is just behind his gills so if he starts to look bloated there, fast him until it goes down. Sometimes bloodworms can cause constipation.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #12 
nacho

Hi Michael,

It's funny - my fish will only take pellets. I bought Atison's betta pellets over Hikari after I read about a recent change in ingredients. He loves his food. I tried giving him a pre-soaked freeze-dried bloodworm, but he just turned up his nose at the pieces. It's weird how our bettas have different tastebuds :)
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #13 
MistressNight333

yah it is funny. my betta skull will kill you for a bloodworm, but lilly my bffs could care less about bloodworms.
MistressNight333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #14 
Murphy

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Just watch for bloating. His stomach is just behind his gills so if he starts to look bloated there, fast him until it goes down. Sometimes bloodworms can cause constipation.
Update: I was out of town for 4 days about a week ago and offered pellets to Murphy when I got back and he eats them now. I was getting a little worried about constipation because he had a bulge at the back of his body, just in front of his tail fin, but he has been on pellets for a week and that bulge is smaller now. He still doesn't seem super crazy about pellets so I haven't offered any bloodworms since the switch because I don't want him to go on a hunger strike. I'm just feeding this stuff I bought at Walmart, made by Wardley, but they sure seem large for his mouth. I pick through for the smallest bites I can find, so I'd like to find something smaller. Overall though, I feel better informed about his food and am thankful for all the knowledge and encouragement passed along here.
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #15 
beta novice

try beta bites
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote