Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #1 
sjones

Water changes for 2.5-3 gallon aquarium? Advice?

Hello,
I have gotten a 2.5-3 gallon critter keeper type container (with lid) for my betta.

I will not have a filter but do have a heater, thermometer, some gravel and a silk plant. It's not super glamorous but this fish was dying in a little dirty barren betta bowl at the pet store and I couldn't help myself.:(

He's active enough now but is having a hard time keeping food down.

Could I have some advice on water changes, how often, tips and when to completely "scrub" down tank?

Any other tips appreciated!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Welcome!

Sounds like a good home. :)

Doing a 50% change twice a week and then every 2 weeks do a 100% and wash everything out completely. Don't use soap! Hot water will be enough.

Your betta is getting used to everything and settling down so he may not eat for a couple of days. If he takes the pellet then spits it out, it could be too big for him. You could cut the pellets in half, or let them soak for a minute before you give them to him.

Now let's see some pics!!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #3 
sjones

Thanks! Haven't named him yet, but I did send an email to the petstore politely expressing my concern for the conditions he was kept in and asking them to respond with any ideas on how they might take better care of their bettas. Will let you know if I get any response. There are some beautiful tanks on here! I am inspired to redecorate once he gets healthy and will post photos.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your tank looks very nice and your betta is pretty!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #5 
xxabc

Be careful of that rock-base holding the plants down. My bettas have been injured by that because they were swimming too fast (how clumsy, haha). He lost a scale - it grew back and he's fine, but just a warning tip for you. Try adding some more heavy layer of gravel, that will look nice. I'm contemplating about adding some black gravel with a mixture of some white gravel as well. Maybe you could try that? Black gravel looks LOVELY with bettas...

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes with plants. I would definitely recommend some more plants in there. In terms of Petco silk plants ( I have them too, and I LOVE 'em), I would say add about ... 3 or 4 more and see how that works out. He may be fine as is, but crowding of plants seem to do the bettas real good. IME, they don't do well with large open space. In terms of money, though, you only really need to buy one plant every week, or every two weeks. No need to burn it all at one time, haha.

He seems to be doing great! If you want ideas to spruce it up a bit, that'll be a fun task (for me), haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #6 
sjones

That's a good idea about the gravel to cover the base-will do. I was wondering if I should have gravel at all or what purpose it served beside aesthetic..I was thinking of adding something for him to hide in at least, if you have any other ideas let me know. He seems to be adjusting well, and hopefully will eat soon.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #7 
xxabc

Caves (can be home-made, or bought) are popular as a hiding spot. I clump some smaller plants together as my hiding place and it does pretty well.

The gravel usually helps with holding things together (like certain plants), and with Aquarium Cycling / Aquarium Nitrogen Cycling / or just minimized to "cycling." Here's a link to begin some research on it ... cycling is extremely important in fish hobby, especially with larger tanks. You'll definitely be learning on the way.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquariums/beginners-guide-freshwater-aquarium-cycle-38617/

Don't worry about fully understanding it right away. It will probably take quite a while to properly learn it, so just be patient, haha. :)
Old 04-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #8 
Starbright

Awesome start! I agree with xxabc. Black gravel is beautiful with bettas! It really brings out their colors!! My betta would chill near the bottom of my tank behind my one plant.. I felt so bad that I went out and got a few more silk plants. The change was immediate!! It was like he was a totally different betta! He swam all over the tank and would finally come up to the front to "greet" me!!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #9 
xxabc

I'm still wondering what a black betta looks like with black gravel. LOL. I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad, although still curious ... as I do love black bettas and I'm going towards black gravel currently. Mehhhh.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #10 
Starbright

Lol! I was thinking the exact same thing!! Imo, a black betta would look better with a lighter color gravel. I'd want to try out white gravel and a black betta! I saw a black and silver CT at Petsmart and failed to convince my mom to let me have him :( (First time I wanted a betta from Petsmart too)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote