Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #1 
kuklachica

Clamping fins, lethargic, laying on the bottom

These are the symptoms of my OHM guy, Dane. He's usually quite active, but he past 2 days he has been laying on the bottom of the tank until I come up to the glass. It looks like his fins are starting to clamp, and it even looks as though he is losing some color. He has weird splotches on his face (not fungus) it just looks like he is losing his color in those places.

Water is a 82*, Amm between 0-.25 (my Prime conditioner gives me false readings), nitrItes 0, nitrAtes between 5-10. He is in a divided tank and the middle guy is fine. My dragon boy on the other end is look a little lethargic and hanging out at the bottom (but that is not too new for him).

What should I do? I don't have a heater or hospital tank right now since it is being used. Dane has no history of any other illnesses, except tail biting.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #2 
kuklachica

Update: did an 80% WC and added AQ salt. when he brushes up against something he quickly jumps away like someone being touched who has a sunburn.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What size is the tank, how long has it been set-up, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any additives used besides prime, live plants and filtration use.

IME- anytime I see behavior changes...make 50% water changes to rule out environment issues. You may want to lower the temp too, if it is bacterial in nature the lower temp 76-78F can help as most bacteria like warm water.

You just posted as I did, good 80% is good since your nitrate are wnl.
Since the fish is flashing good that you added aquarium salt, how much did you add?
You may want to Qt him even without a heater and start him on 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for about 10 days until you figure out what is going on.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-03-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #4 
kuklachica

Hi OFL,

Thank you for the post. It is a 10 gallon divided 3 ways, ~50% WC every week, set up for about 2 months (used mulm from another of my tanks to get it to cycle faster). I added about a tbsp of salt. What causes flashing? I've never seen it before and am not really sure what the term refers to, except that they seem over sensitive to touch.

I will have a tank and heater available tomorrow after I break down another tank. I can put him in a 1 gallon then.

Thank you for your help!!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

When something is irritating them like parasites or itching from metals in the water, some fish are more sensitive than others.
Sometimes-not always... you can tell the location of the irritant on the fish by what part of the body they hit first on the object they are scratching them self on, like if they seem to be hitting more the gill area, it could be flukes, lice, ich etc that are in the gills and hard for you to see and more the body it can be parasites too but it can be metals in the water that is making them itch, even ammonia can cause them to itch as it burns them. Especially if you are on city water and there was a change at the water plant and they added more of something because of rains, drought, cleaning, flushing....endless and a pain for those with aquariums.....glad I am on well water.......

Has his behavior changed any since the water change and another question how old is he?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #6 
kuklachica

Thank you for the info. I am on city water, but have not seen similar behavior in my other tanks, but will keep an eye out.

I also did a 50% WC yesterday or Tuesday when I first saw that he was beginning to clamp, and it has only gotten worse. I did the 80% just 45 mins ago so I will have to check later to see if anything has changed.

I have had him since Januaryish and he was from Petco, so if he was 5 months when I got him, he is almost a yearish?

Also, when I did my routine WC on Sunday, I added some Java Moss that I had been QTing, but completely forgot to rinse it first. I took it out tonight just in case something in there was irritating him.

There is also a snail and shrimp in the tank, but they are ok as far as I can tell. The apple snail had some weird stuff hanging off his shell but I think it was algae.

Here are some pics of him:

Before (and before his tail biting):

Tonight:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Wow that's a pretty drastic before and after. Poor lil guy. Hope you figure it out soon.

Crossing fingers for you.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #8 
kuklachica

Thank you... his tail hasn't looked like that in a while (you can see it growing back in the recent pics though) but his colors were MUCH more vibrant. He looks so sad when I look at him :( I haven't lost a fish yet so I am very worried.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #9 
Sarada

Is that not fin rot? My Bob's tail is starting to look transluecent like that but he still flares fine.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #10 
Allenbetta

Need to cure that fish,or you're going to lose it. Better yet,take him out of the current tank. With a confinement that just him and the container. Start the medicine cure or salt-bathed. Heating the temperaure would be much help.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote