Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #1 
Gennacy

I think the pet shop has sold me a male by mistake!

Hello,
Ive been browsing this site for ages now and today came across a post that makes me question the gender of my last betta..

we currently have a 10g tank and have a beautiful blue betta called... Hagrid (son 1 named him)
we bought 2 females on the advise of the pet shop, Sapphire (son 2) and Pringles (son 1 - really clever boy, not so great at naming pets :D)

When we bought Hagrid we also - on the advice of the store - bought 3 mollies as well as seven neon's 2 snails and a beautiful red shrimp ...

that was a mistake! as we only had a 5g tank... (kept them informed all along what we had) nearly all of the neon's disappeared and 2 mollies died also (as well as a suicidal shrimp and the 2 snails)

we now realise what a mess we made and upgraded the tank to a 10g - 40l one this was about three months ago.

Hagrid, the two remaining neon's and a mollie moved over to the new tank without any problems, we bought another 2 mollies(male) for the first (whos PREGNANT!!!) two Cory's? two snails and what we though were two female betta's

(this wasn't all bought at the same time, we learnt to add slowly...)

I know now I have made a mistake with the two male mollies and one female.. She is a feisty thing and always chasing one or the other though!

I also know I should have not bought just 2 betta's -room dictated no more than the 2, so i should have stuck to one! which would have been what I now think is a wild betta?
She looks different from the other female, definite female has stipes down her body, the other one has occasional stripes.

When we got them Hagrid flared up straight away, we though this was because he was happy there was a girlfriend for him. A bubble nest appeared the next day, but has vanished since.

So now I have rabbited on, I have some pictures to show you, please could you tell if Hagrid is happy or not? and whether Sapphire is a girl? He does flare up in the presence of Sapphire and seems to chase him off?

Tank is 40l - 10G
Temp is 79/26
PH between 7.4 and 7.6
Ammonia between 0 and 0.25
Nitrate between 40 and 80
I have drops and a comparison chart - not as accurate as the strips I think?

They are fed tropical fish flakes, Betta pellets (2 a day each) and the occasional freeze dried shrimp.

Sapphire .. (and a little bit of Pringles in the top left corner) SHe/he? Is mainly blue with red tips,I have never seen her flare at anyone..

Hagrid ..

And Pringles ..

My main concern is that Sapphire is a wild betta? I could, and hope, I am completley wrong!

Thanks in advance for your help

Gennacy

Last edited by Gennacy; 08-14-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Gennacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #2 
givemethatfish

Your first bit of bad advice from the pet shop - you cannot house bettas together except under very, very special circumstances. Certainly not males and females together under any circumstances.

You have 3 mollies, 3 betas, 2 neons, 2 cories, and 2 snails in a 10 gallon tank? This tank is not large enough for such a poulation.

My best piece of advice: return everything but one betta and the snails to the pet shop and keep one betta solo. Otherwise, you can return everything but two bettas and the snails and divide the tank in 2 sections and put the other betta in your old 5 gallon tank.

I'm not great at sexing bettas in pictures, but I'd say Pringles is definitely a female and very stressed out, indicated by the horizontal stripes on her body. Those stripes can be just camouflage in very very juvenile bettas, but in adults it is usually an indicator of extreme stress.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #3 
hrutan

+1 ^ that lady looks very stressed out.

Also, the drops are more accurate than the strips.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #4 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

We need abetter pic of sapphire but still ^+1, you should separate the betta each into theor own tank, pringles isnt wild she is very very stressed
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #5 
kjg1029

yes id say split the tank into two or three sections and keep the snails and bettas if you want, but return the other fish ASAP! Thanks you for spending the time to as this tho, but I assure you this is the only way you'll get good results...
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #6 
VivianKJean

+1 to EVERYTHING that is said above. I can't believe a pet store said you can house bettas together....
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #7 
kjg1029

right I thought every one knew bettas together with the acception of a sorority can't go together! I wish pet stores\shops had to atlesst be slightly educated on the fish they sell...xc it would make everything a little better atlesst!:(
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #8 
VivianKJean

I also can't believe they told the OP that a male needed tank mates, especially in a tank that small!

To the OP - fyi, we are not mad at you. Its not your fault. We are mad at the store for giving you such WRONG information.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #9 
Gennacy

Oh no :( We are going to set up the 5g tank and add Pringles to that and return the other's :( When I got pringles and sapphire, the lady said she had breeding stripes!!
I am so cross. They also said the 2 males to 1 female molly was fine and now i've read its not.

Definitely not shopping there again! my little boy is gutted.

Thanks for all your advice

Gennacy x
Gennacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #10 
hrutan

That seems like a good plan. Please, let us know your questions, and we'll do our best to help you through it all. :)
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote