Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #1 
Frodo Bagfins

New Life Spectrum, Too many pellets?

Indigo is in a ten gallon tank so he's a big boy. I have been feeding him New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets: 4 pellets in the morning, 4 at noon, and 4 at dinner time, then he gets about the equivalent of 3-4 Frozen blood worms in a little puddle 2 1/2 hrs after dinner. My other fish Poppy is smaller than Indigo and I had been feeding him NLS: 3 in the morning, 3 at noon, 3 at evening. But recently upped it to 4:4:3 plus the little bit of blood worm. Am I feeding them too much or is it okay because I space it out between morning, noon, and evening? As far as health, they seem healthy except Indigo sometimes breathes hard, but he has always had that problem since I first got him.
Frodo Bagfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #2 
MikeG14

12 pellets seems like too much. Put 12 pellets in a cup of water and see how much that swells up. Mine eliminates his waste 2 or 3 times a week. So you have the potential of up to 36 pellets in that tiny digestive tract.

I've been told 9 to 12 pellets a day for a King Betta, I think that is too much.
For a fish that's about 35% bigger than a standard Betta to be fed 1000% more food seems ridiculous to me. But what do I know, I keep getting told I'm wrong.

I feed mine about 6 a day and I am thinking about cutting back.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #3 
Frodo Bagfins

Thanks MikeG14, I will try the pellets in a cup thing. Both my fish are just Veil Tails not Kings (although Indigo is quite large) so you have a good point about feeding them less than a King would get. I wonder if Indigo is breathing hard because of intestinal troubles from eating too much. I will try cutting back to 8 a day for Indigo and 6 or 7 for Poppy, and see if Indigo's breathing problem also reduces. Thanks again :)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #4 
VivianKJean

that is even too much.

I feed my VT about 4 pellets a day. He is not underweight and he is not bloated.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A premium quality food like NLS can be fed more without difficulty or harm. But I agree with Mike and Viv, it's more common to feed half that. And you can back off on the bloodworms, too, to once or twice a week.

Byron always said, "A hungry fish is s healthy fish."
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #6 
kjg1029

I would say feed two times a day with 3 pelets each feedingc: that's what I do
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #7 
hopeful fish

I feed 5 at night, and I use NLS, too. I think that 5 is plenty. Both my fish are always begging for more, but I don't let them trick me!

On the days I give them bloodworms, I only feed 3 each.
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #8 
Frodo Bagfins

Thank you all, You've been so helpful! I will try cutting back even more to 5-6 and feeding the frozen bloodworms only once or twice a week. Today I fed Indigo 3 at breakfast and 2 at lunch, and Poppy 3 at breakfast and 1 at lunch and they both seem more energetic :) I like the Byron that you quoted Hallyx: "A hungry fish is a healthy fish."