Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #1 
Wiccandove

Lump

Hi All
I just recently got back into keeping Bettas and my second acquisition is Philay, a white plakat (I think?) with a lump on his side. According to the lfs he had the lump when he came in and had been in the store for 2 weeks with no change to the lump. The lfs sold him to me for a whopping $5 and I now have him happily thriving in a 5 gal Fluval Chi alone with a live plant for the last 2 weeks.

I know the picture is not the best, but I am suspecting this lump may just be an injury - any thoughts? He is very healthy looking otherwise, active and eats well.

I've been thinking about breeding down the road and absolutely love this fish. What are your thoughts on breeding a fish with a lump like this?
Attached Images

Wiccandove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

Time will tell but it looks like lympocytis. If so fish like that need extra clean water to help keep it a bay.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #3 
hrutan

Never breed any animal with an illness or defect, no matter how beautiful they are otherwise. If you want to breed, wait until you are ready, and then find healthy parents. Keep him as your pet that you love, and baby his health because he may need it.

The defect could be an illness, which then passes to the mate, fry, or both, or it could be a deformity, which then passes to the fry, or it could be an injury, which weakens him. Either way, it would be directly harmful to breed...breeding isn't just fun, or work, it is also taking on a serious responsibility to the parents and fry. You want them to be healthy and pain free, and have the best chances to survive and be sold or adopted.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote