Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

Hermit Crabs?

Hey guys, I've been thinking about a hermit crab lately. They just seem so cool. I wanted to ask you guys and research before I go and buy one with a torture chamber from PetsMart....

So whats the basic care? If the tank size is too big I'll pass but I just wanna know incase I do decide to get one.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #2 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I dont personally know much about them. I had a friend want them once so I got her some for her birthday. I got two little ones in a 15 gallon tank, and the set up was pretty expensive for the sand and heating and all that jazz. I dont remember all that they needed.

BUT. .I have had 3 different friends all get hermit crabs and thought they were boring =[
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #3 
meeka

All I really know about them is that they are mainly nocturnal and don't like to live by themselves. So two or more are best.
Also they like really humid conditions and you have to provide them with a bowl of salty water and a bowl of fresh and they love to climb.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

http://hermit-crabs.com/care.html

You'll want something to measure humidity!

You will still have to dechlorinate the water for these guys too :) this website has lots of good care tips!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #5 
Capricorn

I actually just adopted out my six, haha.

You'll need more than one, I found they did best in groups of three and up.

The Hermit Crab Association is a great website as well, there are tons and tons of crabbers who have helped me out more than once. (: Good luck Vamp! They're really quite fun, really.

edit; Also, I don't think there's such thing as "too big" tank-wise. I had six in my 29gal, and before that kept three in a 10gal.. you need to be able to provide at the very least four inches of wet sand and coconut fiber. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #6 
Pomsizzle

LOL ASK MEEE

HERMIT CRAB ASSCIATION
HERMIE KID! hahaha I LOVE THEM!
Pomsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #7 
BettaGirl290

i had one once.... i died after about 4 weeks..... AND THATS WHAT I GET FOR NOT REALLY RESEARCHING!!! :,(

Last edited by BettaGirl290; 10-23-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #8 
KappaFish

You need a small sponge (ALWAYS KEEP WET NEVER LET IT DRY OR HERMIT HERE WILL DIE) 2 small cap,or container of water...(always keep ful)..3 manny shells at least 4 ( DONT BE ALARMED WHEN THEY COME OUT OF SHELL TO CHANGE SHELL)
......Dont handel too much thes crabs can die if tuched a lot.....um other things are check for food under gravel they LOVE TO HIDE FOOD which causes a really bad smell in tank. also let it out about 2 a week to run (maby on the drive way and move it when it gets close to danger. If you have any more questions let me know...Have fun!!
KappaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #9 
Capricorn

Actually no, they don't die if you handle them, I have always handled my hermits.. it accustoms them to your presence so they don't dive for cover every time you stick your arm in the tank. Sponges are a huge bacteria grower, you're better off without them. Hermits don't even need a sponge to drink, it's just a way for the store to get more money off of you.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #10 
Dead Sunlight

Hey, u should definitly get a hermit crab! I used to be part of the hermit crab accociation too. the crabbys are so much fun to watch and play with if you have 3 or up crabbies living together. they definitly are social animals.

... but dont try breeding them... ive done it before sucessfully, but its not very rewarding as u have to imitate the ocean itself then try to find tiny shells for the hundreds of lil buggers :)

so ya, hermits are really awesome pets. The only things that you should be really concerned about is that their habitat has to remain a constant humidity.

enjoy!
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote