Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #1 
SeaKnight

To filter or not to filter???

That is the question.....

My Ozzie's tank
has been filtered since it was set up a couple months back.. Periodically over the last couple of weeks his filter has been messing up (motor quits running) and I have had to take it apart and clean the propeller several times.. Well, this morning I noticed that once again it had quit working but when I removed the tank lid to get at the filter I noticed that Ozzie had built a HUGE bubble nest that took up the majority of the water's surface...and seems to be much more content....

So now I am considering leaving his tank unfiltered and just increase water changes from once a week to once every couple of days... It is a 3-4 gallon, unheated, Acrylic Beanie Box that is being kept between 2 5.5 gallon heated tanks where the temperature is at a constant 78ish degrees..

What do you all think???
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #2 
givemethatfish

In my opinion, it is always better to have a filter. Your fish will be healthier, even if you are doing frequent water changes.

What are the dimensions of the box? That might help us suggest a better filter. Although in any tank, a small sponge filter will do the trick, and it's a much gentler current which is very localized so Ozzie might not mind it at all.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #3 
Flint

What are the dimensions of the tank? If you feel he is happier, you don't need it. Do one 50% change and one 100% water change every week if you decide not to filter.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #4 
SeaKnight

Didn't even think about that, I think I may have a spare sponge filter around here somewhere?!? hmmmmmm????

EDIT TO ADD: Not really sure, it is a Large Beanie Baby storage Box that was originally set up as a temporary tank but turned out so well that I never "upgraded"... Let me see if I can get the measurements...

2nd Edit: approx. 9"x 9"x 13"

Last edited by SeaKnight; 08-15-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

After a couple of months with the filter running, the tank is probably cycled. Can you post readings for ammonia and nitrate.

Unfiltered tanks will never have less ammonia than a cycled tank,but you can keep that ammonia detoxified by dosing Prime @ 1-drop/gal/day, and 2-drops/gal with water changes.

For an unfiltered tank, you should know what your readings are and monitor them regularly.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #6 
VivianKJean

+1 to hallyx

I used to be on the "bettas don't need a filter but they would be nice train" for a long time. However, once I got filters for all my tanks and cycled them my fish are much healthier. Their colors are brighter, they are more active and their personalities started coming out more. So now I highly suggest have a filter.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #7 
kjg1029

I would have to say filter! I have kept bettas both ways and I now have a filter on all 3 of my tanks, I feel that it improves the fishes color and beautiful-ness
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #8 
Flint

Almost 5 gallons
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #9 
SeaKnight

See this is why I posted, guess I just needed the affirmation... It's gonna take a couple days for me to get to the store to pick up a new filter (unless I can find the spare sponge filter that seems to have vanished into thin air..) But as soon as I can a filter will be added back in...... Thanks guys.... Oh and Hal readings have been level, I think it may have been the "current" that was stressing him out......
Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #10 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Almost 5 gallons
bigger than I thought.......