Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #1 
Huasopodrido

Picked up this Fish this week.

Hello,

My son was out for the week at camp and his fish jumped the pond onto a dry death on the rug! So, I went with his sister and we got this bettafish. I know nothing of these fish. It is very nice to see, maybe I should get it a bigger tank? in any case, he is a male (according to label). He has made a circle of bubbles on the surface of the tank he is in, why? does this mean something? just wondering. The dead fish is the one that jumped!

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by Huasopodrido; 08-15-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Huasopodrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #2 
Thothgirl

Have you done much poking around on the forum?

Roughly, at least a 2.5 gallon heated tank (i personally would go for a 5 gallon min). He is making a bubble nest, which can mean a bunch of different things. depending on his temperament and water quality. It can mean he is happy, he is ready for some fish sexy times or at least when it comes to my bettas, he is slightly bored.

He looks like a beauty though!
Thothgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #3 
givemethatfish

Take a look around here for general betta care tips. They aren't hard to care for once you provide a good environment for them.

Be warned: bettas are notorious jumpers. You need some kind of lid or cover on that bowl until you upgrade him. You can even use something as simple as cling film/plastic wrap in a pinch.
givemethatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #4 
Veloran

Hi and welcome to the forums.
Here's a short shopping list for you:

Larger tank (highly recommended)
Adjustable heater (generally required)
Filter (highly recommended)
Prime water conditioner (highly recommended)

The tank, 2.5g is generally recommended as the minimum, but I've seen it recommended here that you get the biggest tank you can afford. These little guys come alive and are so active when they have space.
Heater is required to keep their temperature stable.
Their filters aren't required but will allow you to cycle your tank and make maintenance so much easier on you.

Don't know what your son's other fish was, but if you find that you're asking yourself "Did he really just do that?" or "Is he trying to play with me?", short answer is .. Yes.

Browse around, feel free to ask any questions.
Veloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #5 
countyrd419

Good evening Huasopodrido and welcome to our world where no question is a dumb question. Just ask away. I have my pet fish Rusty in a 2.5 gallon Aqueon tank which I bought at Petsmart. Here is what it looks like.
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aquariums/aqueon-2.5-gallon-betta-bow-tank-zid36-16718/cat-36-catid-300065;pgid=2fNY0T_DdupSRpQK2f17xrM20000qemKOBEo?_ t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dauqeon+2.5+betta+tan k"] Don't know why it is all gibberish. Just go to www.petsmart.com and do a search for betta fish tanks. Happy swimming with us.
Attached Images

countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #6 
Lettuce

A 5 gallon sounds big but it's a very nice looking size once you actually get it set up. It doesn't really take up much more space than that bowl and the benefits of it are that the fish will be happy, and you won't have to do water changes as often.

A good filter would be the Azoo Palm/Mignon which can be found here for only $6.99. which is an amazing deal.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821

Also, you'll want an adjustable heater with a built in thermostat so you can set it once and forget it (still a good idea to have a tank thermometer so you can see the temperature stays constant. You can get a tank thermometer at walmart for under 2 dollars).

Trust me, once you set it up you'll love it, and it will be less maintenance than the bowl, with a happier fish. A happy healthy fish will constantly be swimming around the tank doing stuff. A fish in a bowl will start to get bored and lethargic and just kind of float in place for long periods of time. You'll want your fish to be a fish, and a pet, not a decoration! To take the best possible care of the fish, it will cost a bit in the beginning, but all of the food, chemicals, and equipment will last years.

Last edited by Lettuce; 08-15-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #7 
kittywolf13

i would echo what everyone else said, about a bigger tank, but it looks like you have live plants in his little home so far, and thats good start!! :D

may i ask why theres a dead fish on the plate? I assume thats your sons poor fishie? perhaps put him in a baggy and in the freezer if your saving him for a proper burial, i assume dead fish lieing about isnt healthy for anyone. O.O
kittywolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #8 
Huasopodrido

Many thanks to all the Bettapeople out there! I will look into making this fish's life a good one.
Huasopodrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #9 
Aeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasopodrido View Post
Hello,

My son was out for the week at camp and his fish jumped the pond onto a dry death on the rug! So, I went with his sister and we got this bettafish. I know nothing of these fish. It is very nice to see, maybe I should get it a bigger tank? in any case, he is a male (according to label). He has made a circle of bubbles on the surface of the tank he is in, why? does this mean something? just wondering. The dead fish is the one that jumped!

Thanks
did u leave the dead fish there to warn the betta not to jump poor fishy
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote