Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #1 
sarbear

Heater problems

Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums and a new to betta fish also. I've had one for about 3 weeks now.

I bought a heater, a marineland stealth pro for up to 3 gallons which is the size of my tank. I used it for one day and noticed the temp in the tank went up to 82 and was still climbing so I unplugged the heater. I've noticed that even without the heater the water still goes up to 84 during the day time so it wasn't the heater that day. My house usually doesn't go below 78 during the summer except maybe a bit below that during the night. The last couple mornings when I woke up I noticed that the temp was down to 74-75 so I decided to try the heater again. But this morning when I woke up the thermometer said 88. Is the heater broken or is this how they work? The instructions said that the heater came preset at 78 and I was under the impression that it is supposed to shut off when the water hits that point.

Thanks for any help
sarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #2 
ladikara

Wow, I have the same brand as you do and am currently having the same exact problems. It was a brand new heater and I put in the tank last night. I got home from work a couple hours ago and the tank was around 85. Bubbles is just sitting around at the bottom of the tank barely moving. Not active at all. He was a lot more active at 76 degrees.

With this issue, I have decided I won't be using a heater during summertime. I live in an upstairs apartment and I am in California, so it gets pretty warm in here both AM's and PM's. Maybe I will drag it out come winter.

Just my opinion. I don't want to kill him by the tank overheating.
ladikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

I don't use this brand, but with like the tetra you need to let it sit for 24hrs before putting it in the tank. I noticed that it went way way up. And 24hrs later it was at the temp it is supposed to be. Maybe you can try just letting it run for 24hrs before putting it back in the tank.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #4 
sarbear

Thanks, I'll try that :)
sarbear is offline   Reply With Quote